swapping fog lights for driving lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jniolon

Reaction score
I've been looking for a while and can't find what I need. I think the fog lights are pretty useless on my '03 Tahoe. And now the drivers side has lost a lense and refuses to work... water damage I imagine.

I've always liked driving lights...100 watters not the little 50 watt flashlights. In the past I've hooked them up with relays that are tripped when the high beams come on.

Now the problem... I can't find aftermarket driving lights that will fit the fog light openings or the inner holes next to them... I've even considered changing out the dam to a Z type dam that has the round holes and maybe find some Hela's or something that will work...

1st question... will the dam for the Z-71 fit the stock Tahoe bumper ??

2nd question... anyone know of a driving light that will fit the stock tahoe fog light hole ???

tia
John

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to know the same thing but im not able to swap to a z71 airdam since the yukon bumper is different.

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my fog lights off as one was losing the lens and I figure, get a similar sized driving light and mount it to the mount for the old light, may take some engineering to do so, especially to make it water proof. I'm sure it can be done.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let there be LIGHT!!

After several attempts at installing high dollar bulbs (that obviously create more heat) and melting the P.O.S. factory fog light housings (that suck in the first place) I gave up and went with some KC High lighters. The fit was not too bad and I used some ABS plastic to fill the rest of the void. What do you think….?
DSC05002.JPG

DSC05003.JPG

and for the total get the fu*k out of my way......

DSC05006.JPG

to top that off…. the two under the grill are wired to alternate back and forth wig/wag stile or both on… :eek:

Last edited:

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what model are those? how much were they if you dont mind. They look very nice how do they look from behind the wheel?

CSRMarc

Reaction score
Those look good! Now did you or can you tap into the stock fog light button/wiring?

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m glad you asked! The factory harnesses are still completely intact. On the factory bulbs there are 2 hard wires that actually go to the glass part of the bulb. Smash the glass and butt connect the new bulb wires directly to the two posts of the old bulb and plug it in. Everything works just .like it used to, with the factory switch.

CSRMarc

Reaction score
I don't mean to sound naive, but how are you able to run just the fogs/lower lights?

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Push the dome light button 3 times....... The one on the dash, not the light it's self...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could also just turn your knob to the O and the lights will turn off. Then hit the fog light button. Worked like that on my 06, works on my 07 and works on my 03 silverado.

kandywhips504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i noticed that the 9006 bulbs fit the wiring plug for the fog lights, has anyone cut out the hole on their factory fog lights to fir the 9006 bulb?

jniolon

Reaction score
After several attempts at installing high dollar bulbs (that obviously create more heat) and melting the P.O.S. factory fog light housings (that suck in the first place) I gave up and went with some KC High lighters. The fit was not too bad and I used some ABS plastic to fill the rest of the void. What do you think….?
DSC05002.JPG

DSC05003.JPG

and for the total get the fu*k out of my way......

to top that off…. the two under the grill are wired to alternate back and forth wig/wag stile or both on… :eek:

your dam on the yukon is different from the tahoe... you have one rectangular fog light hole and I have two on each side and they are sorta tear drop shaped with the outside edges smaller than the inside... see pic below ??

hard to find lights to fit... I'd look for a yukon dam but it would probably cost me my first born to swap it

more suggestions, anyone ??? anyone ???

j

Attachments

• bump 003.jpg
    bump 003.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

jarhead0844

Reaction score
How did you mount the fog lights?
I have Sylvania Xenarcs that I mounted but they bounce and I'm trying to find a better mounting solution since no one seems to make an aftermarket bracket for the tahoe.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mounting was kind a culmination between the old and new. I used the old factory bracket that mounts up with the 2-10 mm bolts but everything past the swivel point was removed. Some self tapping screws mounted the KC bracket to the GMC bracket. Sorry I don’t remember the specifics but I do know there was some trial fitting, removing and adjusting, ect.