Tahoe starts wierd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msullivan

Reaction score
I took my 2008 tahoe in for service because sometimes it acted like it didn't want to start & sometimes when it starts the starter keeps going like when you try to start a car while it is already on. Anyways they had it for about a week and said it was something in the throttle body so they took it apart and cleaned it. i go to pick it up and when i start it it does the same thing and the shop manager says it has something to do with the software program and they are waiting for an update for this because it is a known problem. has anyone else experinced anything like this?

iwaslowr

Reaction score
My 2008 GMC Yukon does the same thing... sometimes the starter stays engaged for an extended period. This never occurs on the first crank of the day, but rather only after driving somewhere then starting it again about 20 minutes later.... but it is not consistant otherwise. The dealership I went to could not reproduce the issue and it's almost as if the manager would have to drive it as his personal vehicle to experience the issue. A recording of it is below... is this what you are talking about? Anyone else experiencing this too? It is very annoying especially when people are standing nearby!

Attachments

• Yukonstart.zip
    11.6 KB · Views: 41

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the features of the NBS design is you can just twist and release the key to start the engine. You don't have to hold it in the start position until it's running. The computer handles it all so I suspect it's a SW problem. The ECM also prevents you from engaging the starter when the engine is already running.

1stimeyukon

Reaction score
yea i was gonna say i dont get a noise like the starter is still enagagin on my 08 yukon. sometimes ill turn the key after its already started and it doesnt make a sound. unlike the older vehicles where it would grind really bad

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought this was actually a compressor problem. Somebody had this problem and they took it into the dealer and they just flashed the PCM and that fixed it. If you turn off your AC and defroster and just put it on vents does it still happen? If it does, then it is something else. If not, then it is not your starter.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2008 GMC Yukon does the same thing... sometimes the starter stays engaged for an extended period. This never occurs on the first crank of the day, but rather only after driving somewhere then starting it again about 20 minutes later.... but it is not consistant otherwise. The dealership I went to could not reproduce the issue and it's almost as if the manager would have to drive it as his personal vehicle to experience the issue. A recording of it is below... is this what you are talking about? Anyone else experiencing this too? It is very annoying especially when people are standing nearby!

Geez, that sounds horrible. Did you play the clip for the service manager?

FYI, my brother in law is a GMC mechanic and gave me a tip a few years ago...

If the service dept/dealership is giving you a run around, bring it in for service and then immediately afterwards call GM Customer Care to open a case. Tell them you've brought it in before and they cant replicate the issue and keep giving you the run around. Let them know that you are upset and you do not want the vehicle released to you again without being fixed. They will immediately call the dealership and get them to pay EXTRA attention to your vehicle and make sure your problem gets resolved. It's sad that it sometimes comes to that but it works. Also, they will usually throw you a bone as well, like a coupon for a free service visit.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was doing it and ended up being the cam positioning sensor...may want to have your dealer check it out.