Tahoe windshield air leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1countryboy

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe and at speeds over 65 or when a I meet a large vehicle carrying a wind load, there is a vibration noise from behind the rear view mirror. I am sure it is caused by wind and I think the top center of the windshield is leaking, however I have not been able to locate it. The dealer tried to tell me it is caused by the wind flowing over the top of the vehicle and there's nothing that can be done. Has anyone had a similar problem?:confused::confused:

PaulC

Reaction score
One possibility: The steel roof of most vehicles is tack-welded to a metal support structure that is hidden from interior view by the headliner and other bits of interior trim (Open the trunklid of a car and look at the underside of the lid to see a similar structure). If the adhesion between the exterior sheetmetal and this structure is broken, the exterior sheetmetal may flutter a bit a highway speeds.

1countryboy

Reaction score
So, what is the fix for this? I thought about sealant under the top windshield trim, but if it's a loose weld this may not do any good. How hard is it to remove/raise the top windshield trim strip?

GIXXER

Reaction score
You'd need to take it to a professional window installer...and while it's there they could pressurize the cabin (seating area) to determine if there is in fact an air leak in the windshield. Possibly help pin-point the problem.

staggerlee

Reaction score
Not sure about the top sheet metal, but where the front of the hood metal touches or almost touches there is a pad put between to stop something like this from happening.
Lee