tail light delema

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
With LEDs, there isn't as much of an electrical load as there is with normal bulbs. Without the proper electrical load, the cruise won't function properly. You can add load resistors to take care of the problem, which can be picked up at places like Autozone, Pepboys, Advance, etc.

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if you buy led tail lights, the cruise control function will not work?

that does not make sense

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
so if you buy led tail lights, the cruise control function will not work?

that does not make sense
Normally on most cruise controls, the cc module will sense ground on the cold side of the brake switch by using the brake bulb filaments as a path to ground. In order for the cruise to engage, it needs to see ground. When you brake, the brake switch closes, sending +12v to the cold side and the cruise control will deactivate.
Simply put, it needs to see ground to activate and a loss of ground to deactivate. With LEDs, there is no filament, therefore no path for ground to return to the brake switch to allow the cruise to engage.

Ronmac

Reaction score
I got one for you, I put new LED taillights on my 01, cruise works till I signal a turn or to change lanes, cruise goes off!!

kandywhips504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the LED tail lights off of StylinTrucks.com i have no problems once so ever with them, ive had them over a year now no bulbs burn out or anything, it did not effect my cruise control at all, but when i first got my truck and i had put just the LED bulbs it would not let my cruise work, so if you want the quality and everything to work, get the brand that stylintrucks.com sells, and personally i like the way they look better than the ebay ones, but thats just my opinion

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beleive the issues is with LED bulbs. I had those and I didnt know why my cruise didnt work until I read a post about someone who had the same issue.

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it just using LED bulbs in the brakes? because I replaced the interior lights with LEDs and the license plate bulbs too.

will this prevent the cruise from working? I have not even used it yet since I bought it

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it just using LED bulbs in the brakes? because I replaced the interior lights with LEDs and the license plate bulbs too.

will this prevent the cruise from working? I have not even used it yet since I bought it

Only the brake lights affect the cruise control.

Some manufacturers sell LED tail lamps with load stabilizers (also called load equalizers) already installed. Personally, that's the way I went. It's just less of a hassle.

iscslt

Reaction score
I have just experienced a similar problem with the X3 led tail lights in my 03 Yukon but I did not get that far as they blow the 10 amp fuse and I lost a couple of bulps in the process as well. I re-installed my stock lights and now I can't seem to get the rear running light to work, I replaced the bulb twice and pulled some of the fuses but I have failed to correct this issue.....if you guys have any suggestions I'm all ears. Cheers