Tech: Quad beam headlight mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Well, we all know that our trucks turn off the low beams when we switch to highs. Here is a way to have your lows and highs on at the same time.
00-02 model trucks will need a standard 12V automotive type relay. You can find a relay at just about any auto parts store.
03-06 models only need a diode. You can get this at Radio Shack or similar. Also, if you have a digital multimeter, this will be handy for circuit verification.

You will also need a way to splice your wire connections (solder, t-taps, etc. I ALWAYS use solder and heatshrink over connectors due to the greater reliability and less electrical property losses of soldered connections).

Pre-03 models
Behind the driver's side headlamp assembly, locate the harnesses to the low and high beam bulbs. The low beam should have a yellow and an orange wire. The high beam should have a purple and an orange wire.
The relay contacts are going to be wired as followed, and you only need to perform this on one side of the vehicle:
Relay Pin #
85 - Connects to purple wire from high beams.
86 - Connects to either orange wire, doesn't matter which.
30 - Ground.
87 - Connects to yellow wire from low beam.
87a- Not used.

Now turn on your headlights, switch to high beams and make sure all four lights are on at the same time.

03-up models
You will need to locate the BCM, which is underneath the driver's side dash.
Locate connector C2, which will be gray.
Locate pin B1, which is a black wire with a white stripe. Verify with a digital multimeter that this wire sees ground when you turn the high beams on. Connect the cathode end of the diode (the end with the band around the diode) to this wire.
Next locate pin A4, which is a pink wire with a white stripe. Verify that this wire has ground when the low beams turn on. Connect the other end of the diode to this wire.
That's it. Now turn on your headlights and switch on your high beams and make sure all four are on.

5d22a1dd.jpg

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW, that ***sounds*** SIMPLE, but i bet its not as easy as it sounds.

thanks for the right up:thumbsup:

just curious, is it easier on the 02 and back, because less stuff is done by computer. It seems you have to mess with more computer crud on the 03 and up.

aanderson117

Reaction score
Hey JK, I just installed the relay, took about 20 min, Im in Florida, So 10 was just keeping the sweat off my face. Easy install.. I did it on the drivers side.. Now I have to order my HID high beams. Just wanted to say thks again for posting the info. Im sure alot of people will be doing this mod..

miketedeschi

Reaction score
will this work for a 2006 denali?

...in addition to the low beams staying on with the high beams, i also want the low beams to replace the fuction of the DTRs. i have a xenon low beam kit which obviosly looks better than the stock DTR bulbs. plus it would be cool if the projectors with xenons turned on when i unlocked the car with keyless entry, much like the stock DTRs do now.

any help would be cool, i guess a relay would work?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSCN0409-1.jpg

I did this on mine, but I used a converter that made it easier, but your write up is useful, I think I will try this on my Twin Turbo Golf! :Chevy:

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I am just curious, but isn't it bad to send high current thou the control side of the relay. Won't you have to keep swaping out relays? I am just curious before I mod my lights

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I am just curious, but isn't it bad to send high current thou the control side of the relay. Won't you have to keep swaping out relays? I am just curious before I mod my lights

The coils will only draw what current is neccessary to activate the relay.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at my parking lights and came up with a "brilliant" idea. I was wondering if I could someway replace the parking lights with the 9006 "lows" I think it would put down much more light on the road, and also look pretty sick! Would you have any idea of how I could do this? (Oh, and if its illegal I don't really care, there a few things on my cars that I look the other way on and play dumb about). :Chevy:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wanna so somthing like jk is planning to have the drls be 9006 (although i would use 9005) and have them come on with the high beams. that way i would have low, high, drl high, and fog on all at once, and if i add the KC offroad lights on the roof i would have 4 beams of 385,000 candle watt power EACH on the roof inadition to all the lights stock from gm, i will be light KING. :cool2:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but w/e, what are DRLs? And also with all those lights you could probably be seen from space!! :Chevy:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey JK, I asked this up above but you might of missed it, so here it is again sorry for the repetitiveness. I was looking at my parking lights and came up with a "brilliant" idea. I was wondering if I could someway replace the parking lights with the 9006 "lows" I think it would put down much more light on the road, and also look pretty sick! Would you have any idea of how I could do this? (Oh, and if its illegal I don't really care, there a few things on my cars that I look the other way on and play dumb about). :Chevy:

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is How my '02 looks!
B4 AND AFTER

Attachments

• 10-29-07_2127.jpg
    10-29-07_2127.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 10-29-07_2126.jpg
    10-29-07_2126.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 35

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey JK, I asked this up above but you might of missed it, so here it is again sorry for the repetitiveness. I was looking at my parking lights and came up with a "brilliant" idea. I was wondering if I could someway replace the parking lights with the 9006 "lows" I think it would put down much more light on the road, and also look pretty sick! Would you have any idea of how I could do this? (Oh, and if its illegal I don't really care, there a few things on my cars that I look the other way on and play dumb about). :Chevy:

great idea, although im gunna use 9005s, IM GUNNA SQUEESE EVERY WATT OF POWER OUT OF THIS TRUCK TO LIGHTS.

NOW MY LIST OF LIGHTS

i decided to go back to silverstar ultas as a cop pulled me over for saying my lights were illeagle, he let me off with a warning, but only if i changed my lights.

so now my list of lights,

low, silverstar ultra
high, silverstsr ultrs
fog, silver star - the whiter brighter halagon - no ultra out

MODS,
quad beam mod, plus fog mod
add 4 kc off road lights to the roof
change the drls, to 9005s ULTRA- give them their own switch
change parking to 9005s silverstar ultra- give them thier own switch

im probably going to abandon the entire light switch system, and change to seperate switches for all lights

lables "fog", Lows, highs, offroad, aux high, aux 2 high . do you think nasa will see me from space now. :Chevy: , is this possable or am i going to get way over my head here?

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on disabling your front turn signals all together? how are you going to put 9005's in the drl and parking lights and keep turn signals? No Disrespect... i just might want to do this:thumbsup: