Third Row Touching D-Pillar Trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys- I've got this issue where my 3rd row seat (3 pax), on the driver's side, is so close to the D-Pillar trim that it sometimes touches it, especially if someone is sitting there. The passenger side is fine, a lot of space there. I tried pulling the seat out and re-locking it as far over to the right as possible, but it's still that way. Wondering if it's defective, broken, or normal before I take it in. Sorry I don't have pictures, but can any of you tell me how yours is, what kind of gap you got there, and how it compares to the other side? This is buggin, and it's only a matter of time before it wears out both surfaces. Please let me know how yours is looking. Thanks.

omar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the entire trim piece around the rear wheel (just under window) simply needs to be snapped into place..... Have you removed your jack for anything, its usually stored there, and you might have inadvertently snapped the trim piece out of place.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good thought, though I'm actually talking about the D Pillar which is the roof support between the rear side and back window. But still it may be that trim panel that has popped off, who knows. So I will check it in the morning. Thanks for the idea. Is that to say that your 3rd row has plenty of clearance right there?

tamimi

Reaction score
I noticed as early as I received my tahoe ... I asked the dealer though ..he said that all the short base trucks have the same issue ..tahoes & yukons ...

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed as early as I received my tahoe ... I asked the dealer though ..he said that all the short base trucks have the same issue ..tahoes & yukons ...

Really... So I wonder if there is a solution for it or if they just expect thousands of people to let these parts wear holes in them. Thanks for the comment. What about the rest of you out there, can I get some more comments? I'd like to hear what's up on as many of these trucks as possible.

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I just went to the garage and climbed into the 3rd row...you OWE me!! Hahaha. Anyhow, mine's exactly the same...plenty of clearance on the passenger side but the driver's side overlaps about 1". I looked closely at the pillar and it appears that the pillar itself is WIDER on that side. I believe it's that way by design, so you're good. (Or, we both have a problem...lol.)

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, plenty on the passenger side, driver side touches. It helps create those annoying noises when driving :)

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks so much, but sorry to say I hope we don't get stuck with this bad design wearing out the 2 surfaces. I'm really not into accepting things like factory f-ups as my problem. Hmmm, gotta see what a few dealers have to say about this.

Yes I owe you Sarah, let me know how I can uh, make it up to you, haha.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D pillar is probably wider on that side if you have the power lift gave cuz that's where the lift mechanism is. Can't say if mine touch since they've been sitting in the garage for the last six months. Gave me 5 more mpg and half second better 0-60 time. Not.

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks so much, but sorry to say I hope we don't get stuck with this bad design wearing out the 2 surfaces. I'm really not into accepting things like factory f-ups as my problem. Hmmm, gotta see what a few dealers have to say about this.

Yes I owe you Sarah, let me know how I can uh, make it up to you, haha.

Well, no one ever rides back there so I don't worry about wear. I wish the suckers would fold flat into the floor, but I also wish I would win the lottery and the chances are about equal.

I'll call that marker some day. :thumbsup: