Three questions about a used Suburban I am looking at...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IXFE

Reaction score
I have been lurking for a while... What a great forum!

I am considering a 2007 Suburban LTZ. It will be used as a family hauler and to tow my boat (5,000 lbs.)

Here are a few newbie questions :shy2:

1) If an LTZ has NAV, does that mean it also has moonroof?

2) I keep reading that it's better to have the 4.10 ratio. Most people people (dealers included) look at me funny when I ask about this. How can I tell what the axle ratio is on my own? Is there a phone number at GM I can call and have them run the VIN? Or is there a tag on the rear differential that is visible if I get down under the truck?

3) I don't want the rear to sag when I hook up the boat. Do all LTZ's have rear leveling shocks? Here is a pic of the gear lever on the one I'm looking at. What does the little white symbol on the lever mean?

Thanks!

suburbanwheel.jpg

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its the tow haul mode button. It also looks like that truck is also wired with a brake controller already

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) No
2) The options are listed inside the glove box
3) All LTZs have Autoride

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) No
2) The options are listed inside the glove box
3) All LTZs have Autoride

He's right, and I'll expand a little bit:

1) True it may not have both, but I'd say it is fairly likely to, as there is a package that included Nav, DVD, Rear Camera, and Sun Roof. But Yes I did see trucks with only one two of any of those options.
2) I think the RPO Code for 4.10s is GT5, not sure about 3.73s, maybe GT4?
3) They sure do.

And the Tow/Haul mode lets the quick touch blinker go 6 times instead of 3, raises the shift points I believe, might even do something with ignition timing advance, and something with overdrive, like maybe not letting it go into 4th until conditions are such that it's likely to stay in 4th, or something like that. I could swear it feels torquier mid-gear and burns more gas.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the Tow/Haul mode lets the quick touch blinker go 6 times instead of 3, raises the shift points I believe, might even do something with ignition timing advance, and something with overdrive, like maybe not letting it go into 4th until conditions are such that it's likely to stay in 4th, or something like that. I could swear it feels torquier mid-gear and burns more gas.

Yeah, the shift points are raised and it keeps it in the lower gear longer. I use the tow mode when going up hills.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just 2 cents....

Just towed my boat to the lake 20 miles mixed flat, freeway, and some good climbing.

1) Gas mileage went to the pooper. :rolleyes2:
2) Shift points were changed, boat is 4K didn't seem to strain at all
3) I don't have autoride/level, but the truck did not sag

Now I don't know if I was imagining things, but when I hooked up the boat my park assist was chiming like a screaming mimi. Too close TOO CLOSE!! hahaha! But in tow mode it stopped. I'm not sure though if this was related to the tow mode. Lastly I can confirm that the blinkers did flash six times in tow mode as opposed to three.

It was great in the parking lot at the boat ramp to be parked next to a fleet of GM Yukons, Tahoes, Subs, and XLs. Very popular out there! I could see the jelly on people's faces with the auto start in the 105 heat. :cool:

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow mode will also downshift to provide grade braking when going downhill or coming to a stop. It's pretty cool.

It'll lock up the torque converter earlier in some gears as well.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I don't know if I was imagining things, but when I hooked up the boat my park assist was chiming like a screaming mimi. Too close TOO CLOSE!! hahaha! But in tow mode it stopped. I'm not sure though if this was related to the tow mode.

Yeah I could believe that the mode would shut off Park Assist, also FYI, in case there are times even towing that you don't need to use it, isn't there also a button on the dash just to shut off the Park Assist?