to de-badge or not to de-badge???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have been considering debadging my ride, did it to my cadi and it turned out alright except when i bought my cadi it was 10 years old and you could always see where the badges "were" if you looked...

my tahoe is an 04 and i dont want to take the badges off only to find that I can see a difference in the paint... or worse...

What does everyone think?

Any good methods or tricks anyone knows to de-badging their ride?

Copper&BlackYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it by taking a hair dryer and warming up the badge, get the adhesive soft. Then I took a flat head screw driver on the corner of the badge and using my hand as leverage on the truck with some steady pressure and heat you should start seeing it pull away. The cleaning up the left over sticky crap will be a pain; I kept rolling it over onto itself. I didn't want to use any solvents and risk clouding the clear coat. Use just a little alcohol to get the last little bits off, polish & wax.

I've also heard of people taking something like a guitar string, attached to two pieces of wood, like an assassin, and tuck it behind the corner and work it back and forth like a saw behind the badge. Then you will have a fair amount of the sticky foam left behind it.

With any luck doing it the way I did might take the majority of the sticky foam off, but don't slip and get your truck with the screw driver.

I think with your truck being white you won't have a problem seeing where they were.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have been considering debadging my ride, did it to my cadi and it turned out alright except when i bought my cadi it was 10 years old and you could always see where the badges "were" if you looked...

my tahoe is an 04 and i dont want to take the badges off only to find that I can see a difference in the paint... or worse...

I did it on my '99 S10...
S10002.jpg

Picture040.jpg

I think it came out pretty good. I still have the passenger side to de-turd (take the excess glue off) but I think it looks better... MUCH better.

With the name plates, I took a card (credit card style) and pulled up a corner, then worked it through until I got enough to pull. Then, I used a heat gun and heated it up, balled the adhesive against itself and it came off. I finished up with Goof Off (citrus stuff)... with the mouldings, I did mostly the same thing, except for I had enough that I could just rip it off. :) I'd be more than willing to have a "debadging" party to help you... and finish my S10, if you'd like.

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat gun and dental floss is what I used. Use patience and keep heat gun moving.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let it sit out in the sun for awhile and peel them off, worked on the past 3 trucks I've had. Some asshat used superglue to secure a few badges on my denali, took it right down to the primer when I removed them but it's getting fixed so I'm chill now. Heat gun/hairdryer and fishing line helps too. Use some goo gone to get rid of the residue and don't forget to polish it up real nice after the debadge.

NJ04HOE

Reaction score

When I did mine I used a clay bar once the emblems were off and then wax. There was no sign that they were ever there.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let it sit out in the sun for awhile and peel them off, worked on the past 3 trucks I've had. Some asshat used superglue to secure a few badges on my denali, took it right down to the primer when I removed them but it's getting fixed so I'm chill now. Heat gun/hairdryer and fishing line helps too. Use some goo gone to get rid of the residue and don't forget to polish it up real nice after the debadge.

Yeah... Goo Gone... not Goof off as I said in my previous post... goof off will peel the paint. LOL

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then I took a flat head screw driver on the corner of the badge....
A flat head screwdriver? :eek2:

Parking it out in the sun (depending on what part of the continent you live in) can be enough. Fishing line worked well for me as well as some citrus degreaser. Cleaner wax/clay bar/polish and a coat of fresh wax and you couldn't tell there were badges there in the first place.

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i need to do mine, I'm torn too, like do I or don't I!

I hear a good polishing will get rid of discoloration. I need to do a full detail so, If I do it I'll do it before my next detail.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A flat head screwdriver? :eek2:

Parking it out in the sun (depending on what part of the continent you live in) can be enough. Fishing line worked well for me as well as some citrus degreaser. Cleaner wax/clay bar/polish and a coat of fresh wax and you couldn't tell there were badges there in the first place.

Yea, i wasnt planning on using any type of metal object for this, that seems to crazy... just wanted to hear some advice! as to what other users are doing

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, everyone.... good things here.... however, I am still torn as to weather or not i should! I don thate the badges, i think i will leave the side Z71 badges... i dont konw.. decisions decisions

jgm74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is an 05 Dental floss, goo gone, clay, polish then wax. It looks like it was born that way now.

jgm74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, these trucks look So much better without the silly badges.

Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my S10, I debadged and detrimmed... I'm pretty happy with the results, however the badged pictures look better... LOL...

I'm not going to debadge my 'hoe... I think it looks good, but for the 'hoe... it's not going to be a show truck... no reason to. I left a S10 tag on my truck, but only one... :thumbsup:

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused2:

I dont know what to do.... AAHHHHH... my cadi looked 100 times better without the badges, i mean 100 times better, i just dont know about my hoe... like i said, i think i am going to leave the two Z71 tags on the sides, just the z71 and the "tahoe" on the back will be going.

I dont know what the efff to do:confused2:

Copper&BlackYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, i wasnt planning on using any type of metal object for this, that seems to crazy... just wanted to hear some advice! as to what other users are doing

your not scraping the badge off, you are only using it apply steady pressure on the corner. It worked for me and I had all the badges off in 5 mins. Cleaning up the glue is the difficult part.

At first I just removed the GMC, and left the Yukon, and that looked pretty hot. But after going completely badgeless I would never go back.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your not scraping the badge off, you are only using it apply steady pressure on the corner.

I know what you mean... i dont trust myself with sharp objects and pressure that close to my paint, if I slip and gouge the paint or dent the rig i will never forgive myself, i think i will take the longer road for this one.