Tow package and trailer wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Btmbass

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just picked up a 98 Tahoe Sport to replace my under powered Jeep Cherokee for a DD and tow vehicle. My Tahoe had a hitch and a 4 pin trailer wiring kit on it. I'm curious what the best way is to find if this truck has the tow package and/or if I need to install a trans cooler?

My current boat is only a 4 pin connector, but I'll eventually be towing a few trailers that require a 7 pin trailer hookup. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to 7 pin trailer hookup. I know the additional plugs are for power and trailer brakes control, but that is about it. I did some searching and couldn't find a write up on how to covert my current 4 pin to a 7 pin? Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks for the help and I'm looking forward to getting to know the Tahoe community!

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have a wire harness tucked up the rear drivers side frame rail.

Check for a smaller radiator core maybe 1' x 1' infront of the condenser for the trans cooler. Radiator should have a set of steel lines on pass side for cooling the trans and aluminum lines on drivers side to cool the engine oil. If there is no aux cooler for the trans in front you can get an aftermarket and add it in.

What are you planning on pulling? Weight? Where to/ from?

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you plan on pulling a 7-pin with trailer brakes you will need a brake controller, they cost about $75-125

The 90's model tahoes often need help in the back springs if you get enough tongue weight on there, you can get add-a-leaf kits, helper springs, or air adjustable shocks which help with that, I went with a helper spring kit and air shocks on mine

I don't pull trailers often, but mine has an installed hitch a 4-pin connector, I hand-wired a 4-pin to 7-pin adapter so I can at least get trailer lights if not brakes (for now)

Btmbass

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I found I do have a transcooler. I currently have a 15ft bass boat that only has a 4 pin, but I'mplanning on getting a larger 17ft or 18ft boat next year. I'm also in a fishing club that might require me to tow a few members 21ft boats around.

Any suggestions on the brand for the brake controller?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had several brands very little issue out of any of them....