transmission kicking into neutral

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragnfli

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Z71 Tahoe. Sometimes it will kick out of gear while driving down the road. So I pull over and you can hear a light grinding noise from the transmission. Go to put it in Park and it grinds while going through reverse (only took one time for me to not do this again). The way to get it going again is to put it in neutral put it in 4WD then back to 2WD and all is fine. This only seems to happen sometimes when going around left hand corners. I let off the gas to go around the corner and when I go to get back on the gas it has kicked out of gear. Thanks in advance for the help.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea bro. Time to take it to a tranny shop or dealership. What your describing is not a good thing.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it sounds like the shift linkage needs adjustment, with possible replacement of those bushings, because I think with the engine torquing and body flexing around a corner it could be popping out of gear. On the other hand, grinding sounds like it could be the transfer case, and also since you are adjusting the transfer case gears to correct it. So still linkage, but maybe for the transfer case instead of the trans. Remember the transfer case has a neutral position too, and isn't it a manual shifter on that year truck? Or you might be surprised to find out that there's a bad trans or motor mount, when the drivetrain moves and the linkage doesn't, it could shift.

KarenCaren

Reaction score
I have read some Q/A website about that problem. So many answers but only one thing is really the solution. They gone to the dealer and let the dealer check their transmission.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said, if it's only popping out of gear during a corner while going off then on the gas, it is most likely flexing its way out of gear. Parts move away from other parts, the linkage is connected to both body and gearbox, making the linkage move unwanted and if its worn or not adjusted it could pop position. Whether it's tranny or transfer case remains to be seen, but this is the first place I'd check on both.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if the transfer case is grinding make sure it has fluid, I had a 74 Suburban whos transfer case would not budge, only grinding, simply because it became dry.

theclimberjoe

Reaction score
Solution??

Hey dragnfly
I was wondering if you ever came up with a solution, I am having the same problem on my 04 tahoe. The auto4x4 works fine, but if I put it into 2wd it will slip out of gear, read your post and was wondering if you ever came up with a solution.

Crash bandicoot

Reaction score
Solution??

Hey dragnfly
I was wondering if you ever came up with a solution, I am having the same problem on my 04 tahoe. The auto4x4 works fine, but if I put it into 2wd it will slip out of gear, read your post and was wondering if you ever came up with a solution.

Crash bandicoot

Reaction score
Theclimberjoe, did you end up finding a solution? I'm having the same problem on my 08 Tahoe