Transmission Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a very small oil leak recently, and today I brought the Tahoe in for an oil change. The service tech indicated that a transmission seal is leaking and they would need the truck for a couple of days. The dealer was great and gave me a 2007 Silverado while the truck is in the shop:thumbsup: .

Just wondering if anyone else had this issue.

jmitchell

Reaction score
I just had a front axle seal leak that was fixed last week. Dealer said it was a fairly common problem. Not the same, but similar problem. Still neither should happen with such a high price vehicle.

PeanutGallery

Reaction score
i had a transmission seal leak detected during my first oil change, so i brought it in the next week and had it fixed under warranty. wasn't leaking enough to drip on the garage floor, but i'm glad it got "nipped in the bud" early and didn't develop into a more significant issue.

my loaner was a craptacular last-gen malibu that had about 30k hard rental miles on it, but at least my suburban was in and out of the dealer the same day.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer took care of it. The transmission leak was due to a bad seal that was replaced. The service tech was great and they even put me in an 07 Silverado (4 door 4x4)!

I also had them look at the rust spots on the mirror cap and door handle metal trim. I guess there is a TSB out that describes the issue caused by winter road de-icer chemicals. Chevy will not cover this... I am assuming this will be compounded every winter and will look like crap!

jmitchell

Reaction score
Yes, the rust spots from the mag-chloride are a major issue of mine as well. I live in Colorado where you can't avoid the stuff and my chrome LTZ grille looks like crap. This is my second winter with the vehicle and I already got lucky when the dealer replaced my grille after last winter under warranty. On my current grille not only do I have these rust spots but the outer coating of the chrome is starting to peel away. Dealer said that if it peels badly enough they can replace it under warranty due to "chrome blistering". However, the new service guy wouldn't replace it due to just the rust spots even though the first guy did.

I haven't completely pin-pointed it but the best answer I can come up with for the cause of these rust spots is the combination of the mag-chloride and going through an 'automatic' car wash. I think there could possibly be a chemical reaction with the salt and the soap/wax used in the auto-car wash. If I get a new grille under warranty and no longer use the auto-car wash I will report back with the results.

Last thought, what I don't get is that I have seen many other cars around here (other makes: Lexus, Ford, Toyota) with more chrome than I have and it looks flawless, but many GM vehicles that I've seen have this same issue. Is it just bad 'plastic' chrome plating on GM's part?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have been going through the autowash in the winter to wash off the dirt and de-icer chemicals... I think I will try to wax/seal the metal trim and see if that helps.

Once I noticed the problem, I looked at other cars with chrome/metal trim and did not observe these rust spots. I also have an Infiniti G35 coupe that has been out in these conditions, and the chrome grill has no spotting. This leads me to believe GMs metal trim parts can not handle this :(.

tspain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here ya go, since I live in the south, we haven't had any vehicles come in with the concern but this should help. Go to the website listed in the bulletin. But as it says, GM won't pay for it.

Preliminary Info #PIT4548

Chrome wheels and other chrome trim may become corroded if not washed after driving on roads that have been sprayed with magnesium, calcium or sodium chloride. These chlorides are used on roads for conditions such as ice or dust. The damage is not covered by the vehicle's warranty. Always wash the vehicle's chrome with soap and water after exposure.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Engineering is evaluating a product known as Wheel Wax and it is in the preliminary stage. However, some have reported successful use of this product as a barrier against the corrosive effects of chloride sprays listed above. More information is available at www.wheelwax.com.

Note: The use of this product or any like it, would be at the customer's choice and expense. It is still recommended to wash the vehicle's chrome with soap and water after exposure, even if using this product.
© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read their ad and it sounds like it not for the stock, clearcoat wheels.