Transmission temp when pulling travel trailer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElmerThug

Reaction score
Hello,

I own a 2009 GMC Yukon 4.8 Liter. When I pull my 2012 Aerolite 195QB (max total weight 5400lbs) my transmission temp reaches the 220's. Is this safe? Should I install a transmission cooler? Any suggested gear ratio? Thanks!

25778410150281416315763.jpg

hoser

Reaction score
Always install a trans cooler when your going to tow a trailer, what is the actual curb weight of the trailer your towing?

I have probably towed a trailer of some sort a total of 100k miles over the years on many different vehicles mainly Blazers and Suburbans all 1/2 tons, the first thing I do when I buy one is install the biggest trans cooler I can buy and install it routing the HOT trans fluid first through the new cooler then back through the factory cooler in the radiator before it goes back to the trans.

You can cool trans fluid too much in cooler temps that is why you send the fluid back through the cooler in the radiator before the trans if the fluid is too cool it will warm it back up to the proper temps before sending it back to the trans.

Taken many transmissions over 200k miles and never had a problem just change the fluid and filter when the fluid no longer looks like new fluid.

Take a paper plate and put a few drops of new trans fluid on it then pull your dip stick drip some used fluid on it compare the two, common sense will tell you when it needs changed.

Most important READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL about towing all my stuff is older and if your towing more than 2000 lbs your suppose to keep it out of over drive when towing, seen many guys trying to squeeze that extra few mpg out of their trucks by keeping it in over drive cook their trans and end up paying 1500.00 -2000.00 getting their transmissions rebuilt you can buy a lot of gas for 2k.

Know the curb weight of what your towing another mistake is people guessing and being wrong, again for some reason they cant stand to drive with the transmission out of over drive then cry when the trans goes poofkaboom and they are waiting for a tow truck.

Nice looking rig hope you enjoy it and use it often :)