Tune-Up @ 100K

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whitewhale

Reaction score
My Yukon XL 1500 has 71K on it and just spit out a OBDII code for random misfire and 02 sensor left bank. I thought I was going to get a 100K out of the factory tune-up? Its funny becuase I just commented to someone a week ago how this vortec runs the same at 71k as it did at 5k. Looks like I jinxed myself.

Question besides plugs and wires what is typically done on these at tune-up time. What does the stealer recommend?

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
At 100K, I would also flush the ENTIRE cooling system and go with the good ol green sh!t or the new yellow G-05 coolant. Just my opinion on coolant since I can not stand Dexcool.

Next I would also change engine oil, rear and front (if applicable) differential oil.

It would also be wise to flush the transmisson fluid as well.

Also change all filters, oil, trans, fuel, cabin, and air.

If you have money left over, lol, I would change out the brake fluid.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some fresh spark plugs too, no need to replace the wires just the plugs will do. Get the NGK v-powers from any napa/advance auto the part # is 2238 and gap them to .040.

Jake007

Reaction score
Looks like other posts have it covered. I would not be concerned changing the plugs at 70K. I worry more about running to 100K cause sometimes you can't get them out without breaking.

I changed plugs, wires, fuel filter, injector clean, all hoses, flush coolant, all belts, brake fluid drain/fill, trany fluid, oil, air filter, cabin air filters, etc... shocks (Bilstein).... etc.... all the normal wear items.

AHMED

Reaction score
hi
is there are any factory check list for items must chang and/or check

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Basically look at your owner's manual and follow the maintenance schedule you think you fall under.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Oh and IMHO, there is no such thing as a 100000mile spark plug. Too many variables and different driving habits.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 'Ho a year ago with around 92K miles on it. About three months later I changes wires and plugs. I know lots of people say the wires are okay but I've NEVER been able to pull wires witout damaging at least one. I used Bosch wires, they were cheaper than OEM's. I used NGK Power Plats TR5GP pre gapped at .040 as per NGK recommendation. I saw an immediate increase of about 2 mpg.

I don't know from first hand experience, but from what I've heard, and it makes sense, I'd avoid a true tranny flush on a high mileage vehicle. I'm told it can actually stir things up that then run throught the whole transmission and can cause problems, like sugar in the bottom of a glass of iced tea. I've been told the best thing is just a pan drop and filter change. If you really want to get more fluid out than the pan drop will do drop it again in about 5K miles. There is also a post in a thread somewhere detailing a sytems where you take the hoses off the cooler and let it suck the fluid in, that way you aren't really "flushing" anything, nothing is getting stirred up, it's just the fluid flowing through the same way it alway does. It's just that new goes in one hole and the old drains out the other until it the new runs through. I know that's vague, and I've never done it, but the process is in this forum somewhere. Me? I'd do a pan drop and filter change and call it good.