Turbo Diesel Yukon yrs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulsonlaw

Reaction score
New to forum. We don't have a yukon yet. Trying to find a turbo diesel. Does anyone know the years that they might have made them to help our searching? We really want a nice 2 dr. TNKS!!!:confused:

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
XM DUDE said:
I haven't heard of one, if it exists it would be a diesel that some one dropped in one.

The GM 6.2L and 6.5L diesel engines were optional in the 1982-2000 GMC Yukon in both turbo diesel (TD) and naturally aspirated (NA) versions. Designed as a diesel engine from the ground up by the Detroit Diesel Division of General Motors, the original 6.2L diesel engine was introduced in the 1982 model year for GMC and Chevy C/K pickup truck and full-size SUV lines. In 1992, the new 6.5L diesel engine was an advancement in technology, and was designed for the application of a turbocharger. The final year of production for the 6.2L was 1993. The 6.5 was replaced by the Duramax 6600 beginning in the 2001 and was a quantum leap beyond these engines. As a Cummins Ram Turbodiesel owner, I'm familiar with all the diesel powerplants available in pickups and SUV's and I can tell you that although these two engines will run practically forever, they are well known as complete and total performance turds. If you want to stay with GM, I'd look for a used pickup or van with the Duramax diesel. But for pure pulling power nothing IMO beats six coffee can sized cylinders in a nice straight line. aka Cummins 5.9 ISB. A Duramax will dust a Cummins ISB off the line, but hitch up 20,000lbs and put them on a long grade, and the Cummins will be still be pulling long after the Duramax is sitting in the breakdown lane with a melted piston.

Last edited:

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hardin Thicke said:
The GM 6.2L and 6.5L diesel engines were optional in the 1982-2000 GMC Yukon in both turbo diesel (TD) and naturally aspirated (NA) versions. Designed as a diesel engine from the ground up by the Detroit Diesel Division of General Motors, the original 6.2L diesel engine was introduced in the 1982 model year for GMC and Chevy C/K pickup truck and full-size SUV lines. In 1992, the new 6.5L diesel engine was an advancement in technology, and was designed for the application of a turbocharger. The final year of production for the 6.2L was 1993. The 6.5 was replaced by the Duramax 6600 beginning in the 2001 and was a quantum leap beyond these engines. As a Cummins Ram Turbodiesel owner, I'm familiar with all the diesel powerplants available in pickups and SUV's and I can tell you that although these two engines will run practically forever, they are well known as complete and total performance turds. If you want to stay with GM, I'd look for a used pickup or van with the Duramax diesel. But for pure pulling power nothing IMO beats six coffee can sized cylinders in a nice straight line. aka Cummins 5.9 ISB. A Duramax will dust a Cummins ISB off the line, but hitch up 20,000lbs and put them on a long grade, and the Cummins will be still be pulling long after the Duramax is sitting in the breakdown lane with a melted piston.

WOW, is there a category at J.D. Power & Associates we can nominate this guy for?!?!??!

Dude, I'm thoroughly impressed, if I will ever plan on doing ANYTHING to my Yukon, I'll be calling you first!!!!

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bear said:
.....Dude, I'm thoroughly impressed, if I will ever plan on doing ANYTHING to my Yukon, I'll be calling you first!!!!

I just like oil burners I guess:D

uxb101

Reaction score
we have them here in canada 6.5 td and the old 6.2 just hard to find because nobody wants to part with them , look in the www.autotrader.ca

Atlas

Reaction score
6.5 turbo diesel

Hmmm...is the Turbo 6.5 not an option over there? in my contry(Norway) the 6.5 turbo is the most common in Tahoes..at least the early editions..mine is and i love that car..not economical but i dont care..but can anybody tell me where its made??..US..Canada...?

Tahoe99

Reaction score
99 was the last year they made Tahoe or Yukon with 6.5 diesels. Available only in 2 dr models.