Updated spider fuel injectors...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the "updated" injector setup in their 5.7? I had my original injectors serviced around 100k when a couple went bad (common) and the tech told me that there is a new warranty... for 10 yrs/200k miles... if your injectors go bad, then GM will "update" the injectors.

The new version has 8 injectors and plugs into the intake manifold in front of each cylinder. The wires run from the spider hub to each injector.

Mine are currently the poppet style... and would like to have the udpated injector setup.. but I'm about to hit the 10 yr mark and still no real problems.
I might have to just pay for them instead :sad:

Has anyone got the newer type? any feed back.. advice.. etc?

I'm hoping the newer set will provide better mpg, as well as reliability. I want to start doing some long distance trips again w/ my Yukon, but I want to make sure I did what I could to make sure it gets me home safely.

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the "updated" injector setup in their 5.7? I had my original injectors serviced around 100k when a couple went bad (common) and the tech told me that there is a new warranty... for 10 yrs/200k miles... if your injectors go bad, then GM will "update" the injectors.

The new version has 8 injectors and plugs into the intake manifold in front of each cylinder. The wires run from the spider hub to each injector.

Mine are currently the poppet style... and would like to have the udpated injector setup.. but I'm about to hit the 10 yr mark and still no real problems.
I might have to just pay for them instead :sad:

Has anyone got the newer type? any feed back.. advice.. etc?

I'm hoping the newer set will provide better mpg, as well as reliability. I want to start doing some long distance trips again w/ my Yukon, but I want to make sure I did what I could to make sure it gets me home safely.

I believe the warranty is only for California because our gas has a lot of additives that clog the poppets. If you are in California then definitely try to get it swapped in under warranty. I swapped the new spider in my brother's 96 2dr tahoe about 2 years ago and it drives and idles like new. You'll notice a difference if your poppets you swap out are in bad shape. I definitely think its a must for all vortec trucks.

This is what you need if you do it yourself:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=PK93441235

Malones99

Reaction score
I live in CA and yes they honor the new warranty. Mine went out Oct of last year. We were evacuated due to the SoCal fires. Of course it broke down.. we were in a hotel, got a call from the dealer said it would be $2300.00 for new fuel injectors. Bummed called my buddy who works at a dealer in LA, he said to talk to the service manager about a warranty. After going back and forth with corporate GM, the dealer did warranty the new system. According to the manager, this is a new warranty for CA because of our stupid gas laws. On a side note the dealer was fantastic, they had the Yukon completely service, oil, trans, diff, gave me 2 air filters, washed and detailed, even threw in a new fuel filter. They picked me up from my hotel too.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea that your doing proactive work on your truck.
It seems that mostly people only do reactive/maintenance work.

this is interesting. Im glad you asked it. are they higher flow rate than the original model?

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've decided to keep this Yukon as long as possible... and I used to love traveling w/ it... lots of room, and awsome going through snow storms...etc. but now I'm pretty reluctant to take it too far from home... and never know when it might break down, (injectors... fuel pump... etc..) you know~

I want to do what I can, and really enjoy this truck again.

Anyway, the newer injector design looks far better than the older poppet style... the injector valves are right at the tip... just like most modern EFI cars these days. The poppet idea never quite sat right w/ me (even though they are still working).

Last edited:

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea that your doing proactive work on your truck.
It seems that mostly people only do reactive/maintenance work.

this is interesting. Im glad you asked it. are they higher flow rate than the original model?

Same flow rate (19lbers @ 3 bar pressure). That should be good for 400 hp at the crank NA, a little less with FI. If you are shooting for more hp than a new intake manifold with external injectors is needed (marine intake like mine, GM ramjet, holley stealthram, etc).

Tigg

Reaction score
Same flow rate (19lbers @ 3 bar pressure). That should be good for 400 hp at the crank NA, a little less with FI. If you are shooting for more hp than a new intake manifold with external injectors is needed (marine intake like mine, GM ramjet, holley stealthram, etc).

I'll wake this one up.

Whipple,
I want to upgrade to an aftermarket intake manifold. My only problem is I cant find one with an EGR. Do they make them w/EGR tubes? If so could you post a link?
I've heard a lot about the marine manifold. Does anyone modify them for trucks and sell them complete ready to bolt on?
Thanks

If they dont I'm planning on doing the spider update. Looks a hell of a lot more efficient than the poppets.

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped a spider into my truck a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure it was made by Standard. The parts guy at the dealer said I was nuts and it wouldn't last. It's been in there for about 105,000 miles.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yukonlover89... that link goes to the old poppet style setup. You probably already have that in your truck.

The upgrade conversion has wires going to the tip of each injector. the old poppet style just has a black tube going to the tip.

If upgrading, you don't need the 'bracket' that holds the main assembly. You can reuse the old one. Just pick up whatever gaskets you need (manifold?) for the disassembly.

You don't need new O-rings for the fuel injector pipes either. The assembly come w/ new ones inside.

Good luck~

hapyspaz

Reaction score
All three parts are available from gmpartsdirect.com

93441235 - Fuel Injector Assembly
17113206 - Upper Intake Manifold Gasket Seal Kit
93442096 - Fuel Injector Bracket

You can also go to Advance Auto Parts, enter your truck, and search fro fuel injector. They have about 5 or 6 different brands. From what I hear, go with Dealer parts, price is about the same, and parts are better.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to call them and verify this... but my upgrade kit (AC Delco ... purchased from Ebay. I think the seller was "ThePartsLadi" or something like that) came w/ the bracket, and upper intake manifold gaskets. As for the bracket, the one in your engine is reusable and the EXACT same part... it's just a piece of metal, and not a wear item. You don't have to get a new one... however, call them up to verify if the intake gaskets are included and save $$$.

In my case, when upgrading the injector setup, I also wanted to swap out my distributor (to aluminum housing - stock plastic base was cracked)... so I took it a few steps further and swapped my lower intake manifold gaskets again too (the notorious one... i did swap it once before w/ the updated lower gasket. It wasn't leaking yet, but I had over 70k miles on it, and was curious to see how they were holding up)

Anyway good luck!~

Black96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
willamsport PA (college) souderton Pa ( home)
i just did my lower gasket lastyear, and arent they fun, thanks for the right up on this one, im lookin into it now for my truck, ive had trouble startin it when it warm and i put on a fuel pressure gauge and it runs good psi on start up and runnin, about 54 crusin and 63ish full on, so a seen someone on here before it could be a leakin injector or regulator

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that warranty thing a while back and got all excited. I didn't have any problems but I have a few friends who are techs at GM dealers who could push it through anyway. I really wanted a more normal FI setup. then I saw it was for california only.

I thought the warranty got you the marine manifold and completely normal injectors and rail like a 5.3, ls1 or lt1 has but I guess what they give you is what the op described happyspaz posted a p/n to, this thing:
https://ceobob1.securesites.net/dlr.../cgi-bin/cat.pl?cmd=view_part&manu=GM&id=1019

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John, you're right... it only includes a swap out unit for the old scfi poppet crap. The good thing is that it's a direct swap... less stuff to change. The bad thing is you can't upgrade it any more (bigger injectors, etc).

If you want to make power, look into the marine manifold, and a new or tuned ecu program.

If you want and easy, reliable fix..and not looking to make crazy hp... then the MFI conversion is a nice option.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if one wanted to go cheaper than a new marine manifold, if a used manifold and FI setup from the later 3rd gen F-bodies or same era corvette "TPI" 350 would work? I guess there'd be some type or wiring adaptation maybe pcm programming involved to make regular injectors fire

but I think I've heard somewhere regular generic sbc manifolds don't bolt to vortec heads?

I would guess an LT1 manifold and FI system might not work because of the reverse flow cooling and no distributor hole.

Last edited:

yukonlover89

Reaction score
does someone have a direct link to someplace to but this cuz right im so confused cuz some places have it labeled as "updated injectors" but its just what is in there right now the OEM ones and i dont wanna but the wrong ones and have to deal with returning them thanks

yukonlover89

Reaction score
does anyone have a direct link to but the updated injectors every where i looked they looked the same as what i have in there thanks