Used 07 VS new 08: what would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, you guys are right, and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to buy the used one.

The price difference is about 10.5 or so, almost 11 actually. But by the time you add in the additional sales tax, excise tax, and insurance, the difference really comes out to be more like 14, maybe even $15,000. AND that does not take into account the additional interest, IF i were to finance the additional amount (I need to figure that one out too), which could add an extra grand or two on top of all that.

And you guys are right about the service too. I think the service department will take good care of me either way.

Thanks again,

Chad

galeo7171

Reaction score
ya, you guys are right, and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to buy the used one.

The price difference is about 10.5 or so, almost 11 actually. But by the time you add in the additional sales tax, excise tax, and insurance, the difference really comes out to be more like 14, maybe even $15,000. AND that does not take into account the additional interest, IF i were to finance the additional amount (I need to figure that one out too), which could add an extra grand or two on top of all that.

And you guys are right about the service too. I think the service department will take good care of me either way.

Thanks again,

Chad

If the new you quoted didn't include the available rebates then you could get 0% for 72 months, which would be a lot better interest rate than buying the used one

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks again,

Chad

A bank will finance a brand new car/truck much cheaper they will for a used car/truck.

Financing new will be a good 6% cheaper then used, so do the math before that used tahoe cost you just as much if you were to get the brand spanking new one...

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price I listed does include the rebates. I am not financing much of either vehicle, maybe 10 grand. I would rather take the rebates than the 0%, it saves me more money. We have a local credit union that offers 5.74% both new AND used, which was a new one to me. I thought that new car rates were lower than used too. They are at other banks, but not at this credit union.

Smashy

Reaction score
Previously Enjoyed or New?

I'll take the used and save ten grand + tax + interest, etc. If you're worried about warranty, you can buy the extended before it runs out. Think of the wheels and upgrades you could put on her with that extra money. Get the build date from the seller's door if you're that concerned about the mileage over how many years, or how old it may be.

This past June I bought a used '07 Tahoe put in to service in Dec. '07 (so start of warranty). Just over $63,000 MSRP in Canada - saved over $20,000 by buying used - only 7,400 km on it too. True, the actual purchase price would have been closer to $57,000, but still its better in my pocket.

(And you're complaining about $38k for new!!!!!!)

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been quite a while since I started this thread so I might as well put it to rest.

I did buy the 2007. It was in very good shape. There were a few minor things wrong with it (most have been fixed by my dealer under warranty!!), but I was able to barter down another $1000 because of them. By the time you figure in the difference in price, sales tax, excise tax…etc, the difference came out to be about $15,000 less to buy the 07 which was about 9 months older then the new 08, both exactly the same truck. It is equipped EXACTLY how I wanted and needed, and I LOVE it. I was able to sell my TL in just a few weeks after I brought the Tahoe home. Everything worked out well and I'm glad I did everything exactly how I did it. Thanks to EVERYONE that provided input.

GM BABY!!

tahoe1pa1.jpg

p10105311yv1.jpg

Last edited:

SangerZ28

Reaction score
Quick question. Did you add the 20's to it, or did it come that way from the previous owner? Looks great hooked up to your boat too. Hope to take our boat out soon! :thumbsup:

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It came with 18" Z71 tires. I was able to find thoes 20's brand new with spankin new tires and TPS for wicked cheap. I run the Z71 during the winter, and these during the summer, and I LOVE THEM. I actually bought them before the truck, I knew I wanted them since I started looking at LTZ's in january.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been quite a while since I started this thread so I might as well put it to rest.

I did buy the 2007. It was in very good shape. There were a few minor things wrong with it (most have been fixed by my dealer under warranty!!), but I was able to barter down another $1000 because of them. By the time you figure in the difference in price, sales tax, excise tax…etc, the difference came out to be about $15,000 less to buy the 07 which was about 9 months older then the new 08, both exactly the same truck. It is equipped EXACTLY how I wanted and needed, and I LOVE it. I was able to sell my TL in just a few weeks after I brought the Tahoe home. Everything worked out well and I'm glad I did everything exactly how I did it. Thanks to EVERYONE that provided input.

GM BABY!!

Looks good... :thumbsup: I was in the same positoin as you and decided to buy a used 07 LTZ rather than a new 08. Remember even though you only have approx 10k left on the bumper-to-bumper, the Powertrain is good for 100k, which is what I am most concerned about. I paid $26,500 for a Loaded LTZ 4x4 with 23k miles on it back in July.

Daryl

Reaction score
I think you made a wise decission. I too, recently went through a similar buying experience. In my case it was a used Suburban/Yukon XL that we liked, or a new Suburban/Yukon XL that wasn't equipped quite the way we wanted. We searched most of the summer for an 07 or an 08, and in August, found an 07 Yukon XL SLE2, with leather, and only 15K on the odometer. The door showed it was made in June of 06, so it's a fairly early production 07. Weirdest part about it is that it was never titled. It came from an auction in Florida, from what I was told was a bankrupt/closed dealer. My call to onstar said the onstar was activated in December of 07, and the telephone number was a Michigan number. The only other info she was able to offer, was that it was most likely a GM corporate car. HMMMM??? Anyway, it only had 15K, and the price was down to $25900. It was also a GM Certified car, so I was able to get 4.9% financing, and a 100K powertrain warranty. Overall, I was pretty happy with the deal.

Scanning the 07 brochure, I don't see how it was possible to get it with leather, but it's got it. We also wanted the three person 3rd row. Most of the ones we saw had the goofy two person bench. I really wanted the sunroom....maybe the next car. Right now, Im still enjoying my free XM radio... I haven't listened to regualr radio in the Yukon, since we bought it. Probably gonna have to keep that once the trial period is up.