Voltage drop...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I did the Big 3 wiring last Oct or November and since then have noted my voltage gauge at a minimum 14.4-15 volts depending on idle vs acceleration as well as a perceived smoother idle. However, this past week I happened to be checking my gauges when the idle seemed to be rougher than what I had gotten accustom to and noted that the voltage meter was fluxuating between ~13 and 14 volts even at full acceleration. I checked out the grounds for the wiring upgrade and all the grounds seem to be intact. Any ideas why all of a sudden my voltage has dropped when everything else seems to be intact?

Paul

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an optima red top at about the same time....so in theory it shouldn't be the battery.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it wouldnt be the battery a voltage drop is a resistance on the line somewhere and your basically not getting the full charge as you are supposed to be getting , when the truck is running it's depending on the alternator and the voltage regulator to do the dirty work.

Looks like the alternator is starting to kick the bucket
also make sure there is no corrosion or loose contacts
considering that after the big 3 upgrade you should be running at superman charging rates

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
considering that after the big 3 upgrade you should be running at superman charging rates

That's what I thought...and was enjoying for a few months, looks like I am going to have to get the alternator tested. hmmmmm if I have to replace it do I go with a standard output or upgrade :D

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

Just to update: had battery checked (OK), had alternator checked (OK). Went through and undid all the connections (and there are a lot with the big 3 :thumbsup:) cleaned the connections and applied dielectric gel to all the fittings and reconnected them. Now on idle alone I am running at over 14.4 volts...Big 3 is back and functioning. Thanks for the suggestions though.