Warped Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hulz07Tahoe

Reaction score
Just beyond the 12k mile guarantee all 4 rotors became noticeably warped. I had them turned but didn't solve the problem. The dealership tells me they make the rotors bigger and stronger on the '07 and that I must be driving/braking too hard (oops).

Anyone else have experience with this? Any suggestions on upgrades (slotted/drilled performance?) I still have stock 20in wheels and stock suspension. However, I have added new intake, cat-back exhaust, throttle body spacer, and tuned with superchips (FAST! :))

Or...should I just got back to the dealership to get replacement stock brakes?

Thanks

'07 Tahoe LT3

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm relatively easy on brakes, and I think I'm starting to notice a slight vibration in the pedal and I'm only at 8k.

turboedmsp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought a used 07 ltz with 30k miles. it shook bad when i bought it. I had the rotors turned and 22"rims/tires balanced. almost all shaking gone. it shook bad when braking and cruizing at 70+. now only shakes very little at 70+ and only happens sometimes. braking doesn't shake anymore. good luck

tspain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it back to the dealer and have them turned, or replaced, and if they won't do it, take it to another dealer.

The 12k warranty on brakes is only for pad wear, not warped/out-of-round rotors. At my dealership, we turn rotors on anything that has under 36k on it, if the pads are still in good shape, and are the factory pads.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that it's likely to happen if it's driven hard, as it's a big truck on a light chassis, but they're designed okay for what they consider "ideal" driving. Doesn't always work out in the real world.

DHall15

Reaction score
I just got back my 07 LTZ today, they had to turn the rotors and put all new pads on at 12k. I had a very bad vibration.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason the Tahoe rotors warp is they're designed too thin, and insufficiently cooled. (mine are warping too) If you take it in for service, they turn the rotors thus making them thinner and even more prone to warppage. The best thing to do is drive em until you can afford to replace them with quality aftermarket rotors. They don't have to be expensive, slotted, and cross-drilled. A quality Wagner rotor will resolve the problem.

Last edited:

tracon

Reaction score
If your brakes are hot and you drive through water that can warp your rotors. If your mech. uses to much torque or tightens the lugs 1 at a time to max torque that can also warp them. I used to buy tires at a dealer that would hand torque the lugs. You can ask them to hand torque or make sure they use the correct torque stick on the air wrench ( it can save your rims also). good luck.

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rotors had to be turned at 5k. I have 22k now and it feels like they need turned again... :mad: :mad2: :mad3:

A J

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those with warped rotors, are you towing or do you drive aggressively? In any case, I would expect the front rotors to go first, not all four! I have 15k and no problems.

I agree, replace with aftermarket when the rotors can not be turned anymore. Maybe Stoptech makes rotors for the Tahoe?

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once heard that the worse thing you can do to rotors is to brake hard to a stop, and then keep your foot on pedal. The reasoning was the pads quickly sink the heat from that area of the rotor leaving the remaining surface blazing hot and resulting in warppage. I don't know if that's true, but I always keep in mind and take the foot off and shift to neutral whenever possible.

Hulz07Tahoe

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It's getting to the point where the vibration is really noticeable, especially when braking at highway speeds. Looks like I'm gonna go with some sort of aftermarket swap.

ventu71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This trucks are not designed to be driven hard, so if performance is what u r looking for, I guess replacing your brakes for performance brakes is the way to go. Money no issue, I would go with Brembo big brake kit. They are very spendy ($4200 front, $3200 rear) but I guess they are worth it. Otherwise, I would have em replaced at the dealer under warranty or get some slotted rotors.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be concerned about your lug nut torque. They need to be torqued to spec with the aluminum rims. Who does your rotation or do you have aftermarket rims? Either way sounds like they weren't put on right.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you got them turned and your still getting a vibration mayb try getting ur tires/wheels rebalanced and rotated, if your still having a problem and ur sure its the rotors/brakes i would consider putting some power slot rotors and hawk pads, i was going throught rotors and pads on my 03 z71 wen i had it and i finally upgraded to these and never had a problem again. of course going to some brembos or such with bigger rotors and calipers would increase ur stopping power over any others but will cost alot more.

BountyHunter

Reaction score
My personal Tahoe and my company Tahoe, as well as my friend's Tahoe ALL have warped rotor problems. This is definitely a design flaw by GM. I haven't tried a beefier aftermarket set, but next time I will.

badvwg

Reaction score
Replace, don't turn...

Once you've warped a rotor, replace the pair. (new pads too) Turning an already warped rotor will be a very temporary fix, it'll just warp again, because now there's less material!

kntrydr

Reaction score
I have a 07 ppv Tahoe and I replaced the stock rotors with crossed drilled rotors and upgraded pads and I haven't had a single problem since and the braking is much better now I don't get any brake fade when getting on the brakes from higher speeds it is probably one of the best up grades I have done

clkelley

Reaction score
Anyone wanting upgraded rotors and pads should check out the R1Concepts options. There simply is not a better value out there with the same level of quality the parts. Check out the link in my signature and I will be happy to answer any questions...

For ALL 07+ models, look up the parts for the 2007 regardless of year. The part #'s are all the same from that point on and their catalog is still being built into their new site and it doesn't show everything they offer.