Washer System Randomly Coming On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07GMCYUKON

Reaction score
I just wanted to post up for those people having the problem that I have finally gotten the dealership to duplicate it. The windshield washer system would randomly come on and you would need to turn the truck off to get it to stop. The dealership just called and said they found many corroded wires involving the washer fluid heating system and are replacing the wire loom. Makes sense! Hope I helped someone else out in the process.

EDIT: The problem still is not fixed, disregard...

Last edited:

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to be a common problem with the newer GM's. On the CTS forums many people have b!tched about issues with it. My wife's car has not had an issue.

On a side note, I used my heated washer for the first time today. I always forget I have that option in the 'Burban! :)

Edit: I also heard that GM is no longer offering heated washers on any vehicles for '09 (have not verified)

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe was brand new and it was doing that. It still does randomly. I believe it's attributed to bus collisions on the GM LAN. I've pressed the heated washer button while on the interstate and have it set the cruise control.

The heated washer fluid was a good idea but the volume of fluid isn't enough to make much of a difference on a sub-freezing windshield.

Last edited:

Armycop

Reaction score
The heated washer fluid was a good idea but the volume of fluid isn't enough to make much of a difference on a sub-freezing windshield.

Thought it worked great when I was home for X-mas in Detroit. Would remote start my Yukon in the morning, warm it up, and then press the heater button for the windshield fluid. After the programmed three interval passes, frost and ice were gone. It's a nice feature to have in the colder climes (CA and FL peeps need not apply!). The wife really digs the heated seats too! Stay warm! (I'm in TX right now:D)

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, it still isn't fixed. Dropping it back off at the dealership for round #4.

As you may already know, there's a recall out for the heated washer fluid wiring that involves adding an inline fuse. But what you're experiencing isn't caused by that. If it's corroded wiring, that's easy to find. But intermittant bus problems are extremely difficult to debug. Good luck....

07GMCYUKON

Reaction score
As you may already know, there's a recall out for the heated washer fluid wiring that involves adding an inline fuse. But what you're experiencing isn't caused by that. If it's corroded wiring, that's easy to find. But intermittant bus problems are extremely difficult to debug. Good luck....
This problem was happening while we didn't have the heated system hooked up, later on they added the new inline fuse and hooked it up and it still gave me problems. What a ridiculous car problem. This should be up next on the CarMax commercials of it being "Maxworthy" or not, next to the hood opening when you pull the visor down. My washer system has a mind of it's own and I need to pull over to turn the truck off every time before it empties the reservoir, and 50% of the time it still doesn't stop. Bravo GM!

nc6600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edit: I also heard that GM is no longer offering heated washers on any vehicles for '09 (have not verified)
That is correct no heated washers system on 09's.
My dad's 08' Sierra 2500 had a problem like this with the washers randomly coming on.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke too soon... :(

Today, 49 miles from home, day after a major snow storm, I start the truck, hit the washers to clean the filthy windshield from the ride in, and it starts to spray...and spray.....and spray..... It had no plans to stop. I shut the ignition off, and restarted it. No washers or wipers when you hit the washer tab on the stem. The wipers work, but not in that mode. Worse time of the year for that to happen.:cuss:

Last edited:

07GMCYUKON

Reaction score
Today, 49 miles from home, day after a major snow storm, I start the truck, hit the washers to clean the filthy windshield from the ride in, and it starts to spray...and spray.....and spray..... It had no plans to stop. I shut the ingnition off, and restarted it. No washers or wipers when you hit the washer tab on the stem. The wipers work, but not in that mode. Worse time of the year for that to happen.:cuss:
Yep, had that too. After it did it's thing, the washer system stopped working entirely. Disconnect your battery and it should reset, it did for me.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went out, and tried it. Nothin!..... I left the positive terminal off for maybe a minute. Not long enough?

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The washers started working again today....once. The next time I tried it, it wouldn't stop pumping fluid. I had to turn off the ignition. Then it wouldn't work again. This occured twice. My guess is a bad relay on the wiper module. It's going in the shop this week.

07GMCYUKON

Reaction score
The washers started working again today....once. The next time I tried it, it wouldn't stop pumping fluid. I had to turn off the ignition. Then it wouldn't work again. This occured twice. My guess is a bad relay on the wiper module. It's going in the shop this week.
So far my dealership has replaced the windshield washer pump, entire heating unit, and just recently the multi-function switch (Turn signal switch). We ruled out the heating fluid switch on the center console because the fluid would not come out heated when it randomly came out and the heating system was not even hooked up as it was missing the new harness from GM when it first happened. Each repair was performed after the problem kept coming back, so we never did two things at once. So far it has not happened, but it's only been a few days. It has gone a month without it happening before.... Good luck and please bump this thread so we can help out others with this frustrating problem if they get it.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posessed Washers explained.....

I got the skinny on the random operation of the washers today. Apparently a LOT of people are having the same problem, and GM is aware of it.

The problem seems to be a corroded connector right near the washer fluid resivoir. It's not known whether it's the actual washer fluid or spray from the road, but it's running down the wires, and into the back of the connector and causing all kinds of corrosion. The tech at my place said his dealership is out of the parts, and is waiting for them to come in. It may even be covered in some way by GM so I won't have to pay for it. So if your washers are acting flakey, check there first.