Well lets talk about my 99 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timmy2times

Reaction score
Well im in the process of yanking the original 350 out of my 99 tahoe. I have 2 motors to choose from another 350 from a 98 Silverado or a 383 stroker i have for my 74 nova. My buddy has done the 383 swap and his truck runs really good and fast says gas mileage isnt bad either i could go back 350 with a cam and a program. Has anyone done a ls swap on these. Can it pass smog i am in cali so i needs to smog

Tahlow

Reaction score
I was looking into doing an 8.1 swap but I live in one of 5 counties in WI that has emission testing.
What I was told is as long as you use LS emission components (O2 sensors cats and EGR) and your EVAP system with charcoal canister you should be good. Anyone who knows for sure please chime in.

Anyways it seemed like a pain in the butt so I decided to go with 454/4L80.
I may still do the 8.1 this winter and keep my 454 stuff to install every 2 years just to pass emissions..
By the way I dropped the 454/4L80 in today. Was not so easy to do solo but fits like a glove. Still need to install tranny X member tomorrow and then it plumbing, wiring, and exhaust

Attachments

• 454 in.jpg
    454 in.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 5

Timmy2times

Reaction score
You pulled the whole front grill off hmm i think the brackets on this motor suck compared to my ole school nova's. my tahoe keeps getting put on the back burner i killed the tranny on my nova

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't they make an additive to add to your gas to pass emissions testing?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember off the top of my head.... Just check in the auto parts store or online....

Timmy2times

Reaction score
I just pulled the old th350 out of my 74 nova and in the process of installing the new th700r4 as soon as im done doing that im just going to throw in the 350 i have from a 98 silverado hopefully ill remember how to put the intake and all that back together

Timmy2times

Reaction score
Works been slow on the tahoe its too darn hot outside 100+ weather and my garage is too little for it to fit