What is the Bank 1 and Bank 2 on 1998 Tahoe 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wishpony13

Reaction score
My husband is working on our 1998 Chevy Tahoe and he has a diagnostic tool and refers to Bank 1 and Bank 2 in reference to the oxygen sensors. Where is bank 1 and bank 2 located at?
And also what kind of tool is needed in order to change fluids in the transfer case? Evidently previous people who worked on it stripped one of the filler plugs and my husband thinks it's a metric tool but not sure which one.

Thanks for your assistance.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bank 1 is the drivers side and 2 is passenger sensor 1 is before cat and 2 is after

wishpony13

Reaction score
Thanks so much...now can you answer this. My husband can only find two oxygen sensors one in front of the cat and one facing the vehicle on the front on right side of the block single wire. Someone told him there were four oxygen sensors. If there is, where are the other two?

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the first sensors for bank one and two are right after the joint on the manifolds right up by the firewall. The second set of sensors are behind the cats, one is before the two pipe connection and the other is right behind it.

The number one sensors for both banks is the one that controls the fuel map. The number two sensors are just check sensors to make sure the cats are working. They don't control a thing. They just make life miserable by turning on the check eng. light when the cats start getting a little lazy to light off. Espically when it gets colder out.

Last edited:

wishpony13

Reaction score
:) Thank you so much for your help. I will keep coming back when he has more questions. I have bought him so many books on this vehicle and sometimes they just don't make a bit of sense...not even to me. Thanks again!!!:thumbsup:

wishpony13

Reaction score
:D I will definitely post some pics of his hoe when I can take some. He's still learning about the computer so I am doing the posting while he watches.
He also wanted to know about transfer case filler plugs and drain plugs as to what type of tool to use to get them off. Standard and metric doesn't fit and someone else previously it looks like they stripped the filler plug. So he needs advice on how to get those off so he can drain and fill the transfer case.

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fill and drain plugs, try to get on them with the best fitting 6 point socket you got. If that don't work vise-grip them off and replace them. I'm dealing with idiot previous owner stuff myself.

wishpony13

Reaction score
He says a socket won't work because there is nothing to grab a hold of. The tool that takes it off fits inside the plug which is four sided square. He tried a quarter inch rachet which is too small and three eighths which is too large. So any ideas on that?????:( The plugs are flush with the transfer case. So he can't grab onto anything.

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK they're that style. They should come out with a 3/8 drive. Chip and scrape the corrosion and junk out of the hole until it fits. Not unless the hole is round then they have these little things that are called easy-outs. They have a back wards spiral on them as wall as a taper. The more you turn them the harder they bite as they draw into the hole. You may have to grind one down to get the right size at the tip to start properly.

wishpony13

Reaction score
Well, now he has to find an easy out. The filler plug is in such a position that he can't get a drill and bit to round the hole out to even start the easy out. But he figures that it would end up beings. He just doesn't know how to do it. The magnesium alloy transfer case so he's not sure what the torque is on the plugs.

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't have to drill out anything!!

If the hole is pluged with dirt and crap, pick at it a screwdriver or something so the 3/8 drive extention or ratchet can get in there to turn it . You said it was square if I recall. If the previous owner made the hole round then the easy out should bit into it enough to get the plug out.

Can you get a picture of some sort so I can see what is being dealt with. My case has hex head plugs for drain and fill.

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its like a oil drain plug and its stripped and vise grips dont work, i always got out my air hammer with a flat chisel on it and put the chisel at an angle that would spin it off. never had any trouble (exept having to get a new plug!! lol)

wishpony13

Reaction score
lol to the last one!! For bowhunter, we might be able to take pictures of it. We'll try this coming weekend and see if we can't post it for you. He thanks you all for your advice. It has been quite helpful. And while I'm out there, I will take regular pics of the Tahoe to post for ya!!!