What to buy? Escalade or Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KillerB

Reaction score
For the same price, same mileage, which is better? Escalade or Denali. I know it is basically the same vehicle, but what are the benefits/drawbacks? Is insurance more for one vs the other? Is the 6.0L that much better than the smaller motor in the Tahoe? I'm not worried about mileage ( I have a 2 mile commute to work and I'm trading out of a 1996 Caprice which is for sale)

Thanks in advance.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ So does the Escalade. New, you were looking at a different nose and a 10-15k price difference. Drivetrain and interior options are all the same though.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you're into, I suppose. To me (and this is just how I see things), the 'Lade is more of a show truck. If you're into slamming the suspension and doing all sorts of crazy audio and whatnot, I'd say take the Escalade. Better "bling" factor if you will.

The Denali (which would be my choice) is still a hell of a nice truck that you can go either way with. You can put bigass tires, brush guards and all the fancy offroad accessories on one and it won't look goofy...or, conversely, you can add all kinds of bling like big wheels and chrome and whatnot, and turn it into a show truck that will rival the Escalade. More variety and choices there, I think. In my opinion, you can't really go the "off road" route with an escalade - it looks too damn goofy. (just my opinion, no offense to the Escalade crowd who run their rides off road...if any of you exist :lol:)

As for the 6.0, it's a fine motor, but doesn't produce that much more power than the 5.3, and guzzles more gas. That doesn't seem like an issue for you though, so I'd say pick one based on what you want to do with it, and buy it up.

I'd choose the Denali any day...but I'm a hardcore GMC guy. :cool:

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ So does the Escalade. New, you were looking at a different nose and a 10-15k price difference. Drivetrain and interior options are all the same though.

i know i was giving my choice and a reason:thumbsup:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never liked that body style escalade and I think the denali looks way better, dump the loot you save into mods and you'll never want to drive different truck again.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no worries man, gonna take more then that to piss me off!:smilielol:

BigSexyEscalade

Reaction score
I just bought an '04 Escalade. The three vehicles I was choosing between were the Z71 Tahoe, the Denali, and the 'Lade.

I liked small bits of each one. I really liked the fact that you could turn the dammed 4wd on or off on the 'Hoe, and it really pisses me off that you cant in the other two.

I really think I liked the looks the best of the Denali. Its just sort of the most "me" out of the group. I really like the grey "carbon fiberish" trim on the inside (except the fact that it was peeling and scratched in most every one I test drove)

In the end, the wife liked the Escalade the best. And it is her DD anyway, so get her what she wants right?

I dont think you can go wrong on either. And to the 6.0 not being that much more than the 5.3 comment... I have driven a ton of 5.3s, and the 6.0 in my Escalade, and in the in-laws '07 Tahoe will both flat walk the dog, and according to the instant MPG on the info screen, getting 22 mpg HWY. I will take that.

If you have 30 grand, and dont mind not having AWD, I would go for an '06 Escalade 2wd.
6.0 2WD? Oh hell yeah....

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And to the 6.0 not being that much more than the 5.3 comment... I have driven a ton of 5.3s, and the 6.0 in my Escalade, and in the in-laws '07 Tahoe will both flat walk the dog, and according to the instant MPG on the info screen, getting 22 mpg HWY. I will take that.

Well, since I drive a 5.3 and have never gotten behind the wheel of the 6.0, I guess I wasn't the best person to make that comment. I'm going off of what others have told me....and we ALL know how accurate that is. :eek: (open mouth, insert foot)

However, if that's true, I'll be getting a Denali when I trade my Yuke in in a couple years. Even if your DIC isn't all that accurate, anything in the neighborhood of 20mpg ain't bad at all in a 6.0! :D

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I don't have any ownership experience of either vehicle and therefore cannot say which is better, but I always preferred the appearance of the Yukon Denali over the Cadillac Escalade.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will never get 20mpg in a denali or escalade, best I've seen is 18 highway driving 65. The DIC is not accurate on these trucks, you gotta hand calc em to be accurate. Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure she'll love the escalade :cheers:

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never really been into the Escalades, I say get the Denali. When you buy the Escalade you are buying a name, NOTHING else. The Denali is the same thing that looks better. I agree with BOOSTAHOLIC drop that extra $5000 into some wheels or something.

KillerB

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I went to look at the Escalade this weekend, and I have decided to get it. I don't think the price can be beat $16500 out the door including tax and tag. It also has a clean carfax report. For the most part it's in pretty good shape. I wasn't a huge fan of them either, but after driving it, and knowing there isn't any big difference between the Yukon and it, and seeing Yukon after yukon around the area, I decided different would be better. And besides.....don't I deserve a Cadillac??? :D
Plus, this will be the show vehicle for my speaker pod business. The stickers on the front and rear glass will be more noticeable on the Caddy.
Keep a look out for the pics.
B

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point!! It's a write-off anyways. Is that something that they said to "close" the deal when it came to the payment? "How often are you going to be in this car?..." "Well it sounds like you are doing this for you, don't you deserve this Cadillac?". It's what I do, I know these things.

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Killer I do still want to buy your pods, I haven't gotten to that part yet. :)

Have you built anything for the rears yet?

Last edited:

KillerB

Reaction score
The business is still small, and I don't know that much about writing things off but I have some friends that know all about 'write-offs'.
I do deserve a Cadillac, call me selfish, call me smug, but that thing is nice. The newest car that I called mine has been my 1996 Caprice (Awesome car, but still a 'fix-er-upper'). I bought my wife a 2005 Uplander (POS!!!), traded it in 6 months later for a 2006 Gran Prix (I really like this one, excellent car for the price). I have been working my a$$ off, and now starting this business in the free time that my wife is able to give me. It will be a welcome change.

I haven't made the pods for the rear yet. Once I get the Escalade it will be the next new product I'll make. What size speakers should I put in them? there seems to be enough room for at least 1 6.5 if not 2. Or are there other recommendations? Or should I start another thread?

Thanks again for your all of your input. I look forward to being an extremely active member of this group.

B

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are not just going to be an active member, but a VALUABLE member :(. I would think that a 6.5 would be sufficient. PS I had a question about your Dual 5.25" Pod. Is there room to mount the 5.25s and the tweets separately or should I get two sets of co-axials?

wannabefastss

Reaction score
You will never get 20mpg in a denali or escalade, best I've seen is 18 highway driving 65. The DIC is not accurate on these trucks, you gotta hand calc em to be accurate. Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure she'll love the escalade :cheers:

why does everyone say the DIC is not accurate, most of the time peoples math is calculated wrong. do you calculate acceleration from stop go traffic, of passing someone on a two lane highway or when you coast down a hill, well the DIC does. i have a 2003 GMC Envoy fully loaded and its DIC is usually 2 to 3 mpg short of what i calculate. :D