What trailer controller to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D'Hag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Tahoe LOVER here. Man, I can't believe I waited so long to get one of these trucks!

I have an '03 Z71 Tahoe. I thought it would be a good idea to run a wire from the 12 volt "battery" tab in the 7-tab trailer connector, up to my boat to charge the trolling motor batteries while towing. Found out it's not that easy. After probing the trailer connector and routing around underneath trying to figure out why there was no power there, I pulled out the owner's manual and did some digging. Found it in an rather obscure paragraph.

Seems I need an add-on trailer harness and/or controller to get power to that tab in the connector, that plugs in under the dash left of the steering column.

I plan to add brakes to the boat trailer as a winter project, so this isn't a big deal.

So my questions--
Must I buy the trailer harness and trailer brake controller from GM? Or is there an aftermarket setup that will connect to the factory connection? If so, what's the best one to get?

Last edited:

Herb

Reaction score
Brake Controller

I have an 03 Yukon and added a controller two years ago. It's the Prodigy model and works really well but it's not the cheapest one available. It plugs right into the under dash panel and is easy to mount on the lower dash front. Here is a link to it http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-hitches/prodigy-brake-controllers.htm
I am assuming you have the factory trailer towing package on the Tahoe, if so it's a snap to install.