What's More Important?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a new rig and there are a couple things I need help with. Which is more important? Mileage, Age or Condition?

I have been looking for about 6 weeks for a new Chevy/GMC. Either a Tahoe/Yukon or Silverado/Sierra as new as possible, yet under $7k. I have come across quite a few but none that just jump out at me.

I have found several 96-97's with low miles (<100k) and some 98-99 with average miles (120k-140k). Some that are spotless inside other that look like a Tasmanian devil went ramped inside. This all brings me to my question...

What do you guys look for?
Age, newer '99ish or older '97ish?
Condition, excellent or worn?
Mileage, ~100k or ~130k?

I know that this is all relative and I am probably splitting hairs, but I am kind of in a time crunch and can't wait for that perfect one to come by and want to insure I get the best possible truck that is out there.

Sorry for the long post but thank you for all your input!

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm from Ohio. For here, it all depends.

Around here, we have vehicles with bad bodies and good engines. Down south, the have good bodies and bad engines.

(Rust and winter accidents vs good weather and driving the crap out of a car)

I bought my 99 Tahoe with 90k miles. Engine was still great as is the transmission. At 90k, you have to think about maintenence. What will go out at 90k. You've got to look at the Transmission, fuel pump, water pump, suspension components.

Check the front doors. Do they sag? Do you have to slam the door shut to get it to close? If so, you'll need to fix that too.

Look under the hood. Look at the factory stickers. Is there any over spray (Paint) on them? If so, it's been repainted and that's the sign of an accident.

Look at the rear diff. Is there a lot of rust on it? If so, it may be a sign of towing a boat. (Read: harder on engine and transmission)

I'd write up more, but I have to go to work now.... And this is only the beginning.

Hardwarz

T-Bagg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look at, mostly, how well it was maintained first. Receipts and such. If you love your truck it will love you and who ever you sell it to.

jlcvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy the newest model you can afford. Take your time for the right one. I wouldn’t buy anything over 100k unless I planned on rebuilding it. If someone takes care of their vehicles appearance (interior & exterior), they probably take care of the maintenance under the hood. And the same goes for the people that let their vehicle look like crap. I believe when you go for the cheaper one you will pay for it in the future (x2 money & your time). Never buy a fixer upper because you will be fixing it FOREVER and spend much more then you planned on. Good Luck!

Last edited:

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i disagree with jlcvt about the fixer uppers.. man thats how you make money if your going to sell it, or hell keep it..

yukon mud: take it to your local mechanic and put it on a lift and check it out. ask him to see if its a reliable veichle for ya.. look for rusted lines, mud, orange peel on the paint, anything that gives you clues into if they had repainted or re done something..

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy the newest model you can afford. Take your time for the right one. I wouldn’t buy anything over 100k unless I planned on rebuilding it. If someone takes care of their vehicles appearance (interior & exterior), they probably take care of the maintenance under the hood. And the same goes for the people that let their vehicle look like crap. I believe when you go for the cheaper one you will paid for it in the future (x2 money & your time). Never buy a fixer upper because you will be fixing it FOREVER and spend much more then you planned on. Good Luck!

gotta say guys way off base with this one. For one the term fixer upper exists because there are good fixer uppers out there and that will always be there (just gotta do your homework and be patient). Secondly, the 100k thing is just plain funny!:smilielol: I know at lest 3 or 4 besides me that bought their tahoe with over 100k (me...115k) and got a dam good deal on it. Not to mention my 97 is super great running, parts arent too pricey and I can count on it to smoke just about any tahoe you will find up to about a 02....
In a nutshell do this....1. Drive the chevy...that will tell you alot about it period. Drive it fast just to see how it handles and shifts thru gears. 2. Try to get the least amount of rust underneath as possible..unless you plan on do a littel rust work..3. Talk to the owner of it and get the vin and do a carfax report...Once you have decided this might be a go...do yourself the favor and check it out...Also remember when your talking to the owner...look him in the eye and get a feel if hes being straight with you or just saying what you want to hear.. :skep:

jlcvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry when I have a vehicle for a while and the miles are going towards a 100,000 its time for a new one. I’ve bought 4x4’s before with higher mileage and yes they were good for awhile, but after sometime it was always something need to be fixed or replaced. I like working on my car & truck when it’s something I want to add or change for performance. I don’t want to be spending all my time working on a vehicle because something else is broken or worn out. I wasn’t knocking people for buying Tahoe’s with higher mileage; I was just stating the higher the miles the more wear & tear on a vehicle (especially 4 wheel drives). These days my time is worth more than money and I would spend more up front then later.

As for racing my Tahoe I’d give you a try, I’ll race you on any road course.:rofl: I never cared to make my Tahoe really fast, that why I have a car.

And by the way “remember when your talking to the owner...look him in the eye and get a feel if he’s being straight with you†now that was funny. :smilielol:

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry when I have a vehicle for a while and the miles are going towards a 100,000 its time for a new one. I’ve bought 4x4’s before with higher mileage and yes they were good for awhile, but after sometime it was always something need to be fixed or replaced. I like working on my car & truck when it’s something I want to add or change for performance. I don’t want to be spending all my time working on a vehicle because something else is broken or worn out. I wasn’t knocking people for buying Tahoe’s with higher mileage; I was just stating the higher the miles the more wear & tear on a vehicle (especially 4 wheel drives). These days my time is worth more than money and I would spend more up front then later.

As for racing my Tahoe I’d give you a try, I’ll race you on any road course.:rofl: I never cared to make my Tahoe really fast, that why I have a car.

And by the way “remember when your talking to the owner...look him in the eye and get a feel if he’s being straight with you†now that was funny. :smilielol:

your time is worth more than money? the hell you smoking...now thats funny..tell you what...you keep dumping them at 100k and we will keep getting them for a steal. thanks pal:fu: