Wheel bearing hub assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asmith001

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with replacing the wheel bearing hub assembly?

My driver's side wheel bearing is shot! I took the wheel off and when I rotate the assembly, it sounds horrific. I'm also assuming these bearings should be sealed on the inside of the assembly. Mine is wide open, and there seems to be bearings missing. Sorry for the picture quality.

The hub replacement seems to be a pretty straight forward, bolt on procedure. Is my assumption correct? Anyone have any information for me?

Btw, the ABS and Traction Control lights just came on. Will replacing the assembly automatically reset these?

2005_Z56_Tahoe

Reaction score
It is a straight forward replacement with only 3 bolts holding the hub bearing assembly on, however good luck getting it off! I just did my passenger side this weekend, and the damn thing was rusted in there. Took two hours of the oxyacetylene torch, slide hammer, sledge hammer, and air chisel to get this thing off... Just trying to warn you to be prepared!

TnTahoe

Reaction score
Yeah the procedure is pretty straight forward and those dash lights will go off once you replace the hub, but I suggest that you go ahead and change out both sides bc the other one is probably on its way out as well

thedude337

Reaction score
hey guys i got hubs for both sides, and right on the boxes it says to torque to oe specs, anybody got those numbers by chance

d1369b

Reaction score
Mine was probably the hardest anyone ever had to to. Regarding the spline nut, I used a 24inch breaker bar and a 4 foot piece of 2 inch drainpipe for a cheater bar. That was pretty easy to break the 200lb of torque. I got all the bolts off pretty easy, but getting the hub assembly off was a total pain in the rear. I had to do a lot of chiseling and prying and wd40 around the whole seem, not sure if it really helped, but I didn't see any daylight between the seam until I started banging on boths side of the hub assembly with my 20lb sledgehammer. I really whacked it hard, turned the wheel so I could get a little angle, little by little from both sides, turning the wheel back and forth, I finally got it off there.

2002 Z71 Tahoe 4WD

matt97

Reaction score
Did any of you have trouble getting the top hub bolt or the three from the back side? The stud from the Upper Control Arm seems to be right inline with getting on that bolt.

d1369b

Reaction score
Yes I did. Had to get my wife's cheap wrench socket set because they were real small. Had to get a friend to hold it on to the bold while I used the cheater bar.

matt97

Reaction score
I only had 6 point deep drive sockets when I tried last night, hence my problem...so it is possible.

cookie6942

Reaction score
I did both of my hud bearing a month ago. Not that bad....... I used a impact guns to get the axle nut off. Let it site with some pb blaster for 20 mins. if you need the socket they rent tools at advance auto parts. Good luck!