when to change differential fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrfish

Reaction score
I have a 06 2wd with the 4.8. What is the maintenance schedule for the differential and what fluid does it take? With limited slip modifier or without?

midwest

Reaction score
Nobody knows anything about these differentials?

I think most people here know, but many are tired of answering the same questions. The search function works great on this site. However, your owners manual is the best place to look.

I know what my Denali takes, but i'd hate to give you incorrect information.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most people here know, but many are tired of answering the same questions. The search function works great on this site. However, your owners manual is the best place to look.

I know what my Denali takes, but i'd hate to give you incorrect information.
with all due respect...I see answers more and more like this.

But this is the internet...this is a free forum to talk, share ideas, knowledge, answer and ask questions. Sure there is a search function, but if EVERYONE used it all the time, we wouldn't be talking.
If answering a question takes too much time, then possibly forums aren't for you. (not directing this soley to you, but about anyone that answers in this manner)

Original poster: it's really dependant on mileage more than date. But I say every 50,000 if this is a vehicle you plan on driving for a LONG time.

midwest

Reaction score
with all due respect...I see answers more and more like this.

But this is the internet...this is a free forum to talk, share ideas, knowledge, answer and ask questions. Sure there is a search function, but if EVERYONE used it all the time, we wouldn't be talking.
If answering a question takes too much time, then possibly forums aren't for you. (not directing this soley to you, but about anyone that answers in this manner)

Original poster: it's really dependant on mileage more than date. But I say every 50,000 if this is a vehicle you plan on driving for a LONG time.

Don't shoot the messanger here. He wondered why he got no response and I answered him. He also asked for specific information. What you offered was your opinion. It may be a resonable opinion, but I'm confident it is not what his owner's manual calls for.

Cheers

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While my personal opinion, it was a far cry better than 'do a search'. I know many mechanics, and that's what they reccomend, not GM, which ask you to see an over priced dealer staff.
I'm not beating or even trying to bash you or anyone, but that's what forums are for, and yes, many questions get asked multiple times. But isn't that kinda what forums are for?
To interact.....?

459hoe

Reaction score
While my personal opinion, it was a far cry better than 'do a search'. I know many mechanics, and that's what they reccomend, not GM, which ask you to see an over priced dealer staff.
I'm not beating or even trying to bash you or anyone, but that's what forums are for, and yes, many questions get asked multiple times. But isn't that kinda what forums are for?
To interact.....?

X2

mrfish

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I did do a search before asking this question. Everything I find refers to the 4wd model. If these questions keep getting asked why can't we post a sticky somewhere with this info? I learn a great deal from these forums.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recomend to change the fluid about every 30k. The diff fluid is probably one of the most overlooked fluids as far as replacement goes. Thats my opinion, but I would recomend to ask the dealer or as a alot of people on hear like to call the "stealership" and ask them for the gm recomend mileage. As far as what type, it is a sythetic oil. You can ask chevy or gm for specs on the oil and you can either go with there recomended oil or a equivalnt oil. Me personally, id go with the factory stuff. But maybe thats because i work for a "stealeship"

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I do everything transmission related all at once, and I do it every 30K miles. Pan drop on the trans, drain and fill front and rear diff/T-case. That might be overkill, but I'd rather do it too much than not enough. My vehicles have always served me well.

I view the owners manual as a guide point for people to start at. If people want to stick with that, cool. If not, do what works for you based on personal experience.