Where is the quick disconnect heater hose located?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mracer71

Reaction score
Hello, i just purchased a 96 Tahoe LS. I am changing all fluids and as a prtective measure i would like to change the quick disconnect heater hose and both lower and upper intake gaskets. I think i seen some drips of coolant on the ground. I never owned american cars or trucks and so this is a first one for me. I can't figure out where the quick disconnect heater hose is located and what it looks like. I've seen this post and it reasured me that i can do this job in my garage. I am not affraid to get my hands dirty - been working on my other cars and my bike.
http://www.market-place.com/intake/intake.htm

So can anyone please point me to the right direction? Thank you!

NoEcm

Reaction score
Your link to Suburban-97's web site is a good one for the Intake Manifold Gasket replacement. Here is where it was originally posted (Suburban-97 starts on page 3):
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=338753&pp=15

The heater hose is not the problem, its the pot metal quick disconnect fitting that breaks. On your 1996 Tahoe, the quick disconnect fitting is located on the right front of the lower intake manifold.

If you do break the quick disconnect here is a link that may help (item #7 is the quick disconnect fitting):
http://www.angelfire.com/mech/pa/heater_hose.html

Part # 800-401 is what you'll need:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/documents4rb/135-145QuickDisconnectBuyersGuide.pdf

Mracer71

Reaction score
Guys, thank you for the quick response on the qick disconnect :D . I am liking this truck more and more and really want to keep it in the best shape possible. I purchased it with long distance travels in mind and would hate to be stuck in the middle of the road because of some pot metal connector. I noticed that Dorman products can be puchased by business owners only. Is there an alternative to it? Also, can the Felpro gasket be purchased in any auto store or from specific sources only?

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get the dorman part off the help rack at any auto store.
the gastket kit you should get is made by felpro and it has to be the metal kit gasket. dont skimp in this area i think the part number is MS98000T ( fit chev SB350 5.7L
but double check that. the dorman part is..800-141? maybe its not special, auto0-zone has both.

Mracer71

Reaction score
Great thank you for all the help. I am coming from the German cars world where it's mostly ebay and particular web stores that carry most of the parts. It's a little strange for me to be purchasing car parts from the local parts store. Normally i stay away from anything bought in pepboys or autozone. Oh well, time for a change! :thumbsup:
PS. Do you get your transmission and fuel filters from local stores as well?

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, I mean you can get stuff online, but for regular items like oil and filters and fluids and stuff, I just trot over to the local store.

maybe youll like to shop at OEHQ for your tahoe. www.oehq.com

Last edited:

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and the correct Dorman part is 800-401. Its on the help rack at almost all autozones. veeerrry common part.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, sorry, here is the correct gasket part for you.

attachment not working
MS98000T Felpro.

Mracer71

Reaction score
went to Autozone and got the trans. filter, oil and oil filter, intake fel pro gasket, quick disconnect. Woo hoo, i am all set to go. One question though - I found a rather large poddle of antifeeze. It was located somehere other then the front of the intake - a place where i would expect to see a leak. It was located sort of uner the axulary radiator tank. Are these motors known to dump "extra" antifreeze through the overflow tube? Or am I having an intake problem and i am in denial?

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent heard of actually overflowing the coolant recovery tank...
is it possible that the leak is from a faulty hose that goes from the rad to the overflow tank? or is it leaking from the rad and running down the hose and dripping back there.. That damn coolant can find its way all over the place on the engine. I had it dripping off the back of the engine but it had made its way around from the front.

I think its easy for all of us to be in gasket denial. Its the common pain in the a$$ fix we all have to do.

Secret is to glob a bunch of that front seal caulky goo in there. use about 4 times what you get in the gasket kit. My mechainc called the tube in the kit "cute." and dude never says anything like that.( as a matter of fact, i think he punched me the last time I said even said the word "landscaping" D:)

Then he busted out a whole caulk gun worth of the same stuff. Permatex or something similar and laid a huge bead in there.

But glad you got all the stuff from your store locally. I cant wait to hear how the repair goes.

Mracer71

Reaction score
LOL, yeah, we "never talked" :) It better go good though. I need this truck running good and long. Actually I am taking it on a 450 miles round trip this friday and i am wondering if it can do it ok before i get change that gasket and hunt down the source of that leak. I guess that's one question nobody can really answer for me when it comes to this truck. I will definitely try to do the work before the trip but i am worried that it may spill into 2 days worth of work and i am running out of time. How long did it take you and your mechanic to do it?

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, he had the intake off in about an hour. then I joined in, and im sure it took considerably longer. maybe 5 hours total. mostly standing there drinking beer and me asking dumb questions.
If this is your first intake manifold gasket, maybe plan for maybe 5-6 hours.
also when your quick disconnect hose breaks off ( becuase they always break off) make sure you have the hole-tappy thing laying around. That will save time to fly to the store to get one mid-repair.

for your long trip... I guess you could risk it, the only thing you dont want is the coolant to get into the oil. that will make a big, gummy mess.

Mracer71

Reaction score
I am doing this with a mechanic at his home garage. Hopefuly it will take less time - although i intend to ask the dumb questions. That's a good way to get smart about things, ain't it? :D Oh and no beer for us. Maybe some vodka afterwords. We are russians - got to keep up the image :cool:

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vodka works.
dont forget hacksaw and tube of caulky sealant.
I wish you the best of luck, let us know how it goes.

the sealant is named permatex "the right stuff"

keep your questions extra -dumb for me.. maybe something like "how many horsepower do i get if I Armor-All the battery cover"

pfft.. 22 horsepower at least. :D

Mracer71

Reaction score
OK, so finally i did it. Got the intake gasket done without major problems - just took me close to 3 days. Looks like the quick disconnect was already changed before so i didn't bother with it. So the gasket was leaking pretty bad - both lower and upper. Boy, am i glad that i changed it. While i was there, did the tune up, v belt, tensioner, pulley, thermostate, front brakes, charged air, all fluids. I am sure there is more but of course the list is too long to remember. Thank you all for your help.

penske

Reaction score
need some help / advice

Hey guys - maybe someone can help me out. My quick disconnect was leaking on a 5.7L so I decided to replace it. It didn't go so well. It broke off real quick. Then tried an easy out but that didn't work, just grinded up the piece that was stuck in there.

Me and my friend ended up trying the hacksaw method, and we tore up the threads way too much. On one cut its pretty deep maybe an 1/8 inch.

Also we think a chunk of the old piece fell into the hole. Could anything else have gone wrong?

So what can be done? I am going to use a shop vac to see if I can vacuum up that little piece. What is it doesnt come out? Should I drain the system and see if it comes out? Can I drive it to a shop if I havent gotten it out?

What about the threads? I might be able to thread the new QD on, but I am sure it would leak, would any sealant hold?

Any advice is appreciated. Worst case is that I have to have the intake manifold replaced - thats probably $1500 i would guess, money that I dont have. I really screwed this one up. thanks for any help

NoEcm

Reaction score
You could try a shop vac but build a hose extension that will go down all the way in the hole. Some PVC pipe or rigid hose would work.

Make sure that your new QD is steel (use a magnet to confirm).

The cooling system is only pressurized at 16psi so you could always try using lots of thread sealing tape and see if that works. You could also try this stuff:
http://www.saftlok.com/stl/sealant.htm