whining in the rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wongs83

Reaction score
My 07 Tahoe LT3 seems to have a whining in the rear end between about 62 and 70 mph. Any slower or faster and you don't hear it. WHen you are going 65 and take you foot of the gas it goes away. Does anyone else have this?

It's not terribly load, but noticeable even when the radio is on. Don't know if this is related but, sometimes when I take off from a dead stop I will feel kinda of a double slip/thump in the transmission immediatly upon taking .

I took it to a dealer and they checked fluids in transmission and rear end and said everything was fine and tight. They say the slip/thump upon taking off is normal as well as the whine.

Any thoughts or similar issues?

Thanks,

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be a long shot......but maybe the rear differentials back-lash is off from the factory.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be a long shot......but maybe the rear differentials back-lash is off from the factory.

That's not a long shot at all. If noise is only under acceleration at a certain MPH range, its a pretty good guess ring & pinion need to be reset with a dial indicator as long as incorrect wear pattern hasn't created an irreversible problem.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
johnbgoode is right. This happened to me in another SUV that wasn't a Chevy or GMC and if you don't take care of it its giong to get louder. You shuold go back to the Dealer and insist that the Technician test drive the vehicle with you so that he can hear the noise. I have no whining in mine at all so I don't think this is normal expecially when you said that you can even hear it with the radio on. Don't let them play you and start documenting everything. Good Luck!

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
I would take it back to the dealer as to me it sounds like a back lash adjustment issue and it can cause unnecessary wear and premature failure. I had a loud noise in the rear diff of my old jeep and I ignored it for a long time until the rear end locked up.:eek: That really got my attention.