Why so many people with only one DRL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neweagle

Reaction score
Just curious:

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to notice a lot of Tahoes / Yukons out there during the day with only one Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) on. I was just wondering if that is a normal feature to conserve the DRL lamps, or if there was some sort of issue in the wiring or something that may result in a recall. Thanks!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes they do, my truck is a year old, last friday, HAPPY late birthday :yesnod: , and i have replaced the right one already, i think people dont realise that there really easy to change, just take off the head light and then reach under and twist and pull then you get the bulb out and put the new one in and re assemble, super easy, or their just lazy. I keep replacement lights for tail, head, low, and drls in my glove box.

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace one rear turn signal bulb, one foglight, 2 front turn signal bulbs, and one DRL. I am not familiar with the 4114L bulb for DRL but that is what mine uses. I have also noticed a lot with "one eye".

Personally I can't stand DRL's (I ride motorcycles. DRL's cause MC's to get lost in the sea of lights. This is the first car/truck to have DRL's.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
For some reason the bulbs used for the DRLs seem not to last long at all. Most people probably don't even realize one's burned out because it only comes on in the daytime while in drive, so it's hard to check unless you have two people or pull up in front of a window, etc.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason the bulbs used for the DRLs seem not to last long at all. Most people probably don't even realize one's burned out because it only comes on in the daytime while in drive, so it's hard to check unless you have two people or pull up in front of a window, etc.

i can tell mine are on because i see the reflection in the back of other cars.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought new bulbs and replaced the 'dead' one only to find that it still wouldn't come on. Checked the new bulb on the other side and it worked. Back of the socket of the dead bulb seems as if it 'smoked' at some time - been looking for a replacement socket. Any thoughts? Think that's the problem?

1BadPig

Reaction score
My wife's SAAB has a sensor that tells you when lights are burnt out. Wonder why this isn't on all cars. If DRL promotes safety (which I question) then shouldn't that sensor be standard equipment?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess GM skipped that on trucks, my Fathers C6 has that sensor, and so did my Mothers old Mercedes did it, it was a 96

aanderson117

Reaction score
I bought new bulbs and replaced the 'dead' one only to find that it still wouldn't come on. Checked the new bulb on the other side and it worked. Back of the socket of the dead bulb seems as if it 'smoked' at some time - been looking for a replacement socket. Any thoughts? Think that's the problem?

I had to replace the sockets on my 02, on both sides, got them from a local Chevy dealer, cost me about 70 bucks...

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bulb is too hot and burns out, there is a service bulletin on the subject.

File In Section: 08 - Body and Accessories

Bulletin No.: 00-08-42-010

Date: November, 2000

INFORMATION

Subject:
Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) Inoperative

Models:
1999-2001 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup (Silverado and Sierra) and Utility (Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL) Models

ADVANCE SERVICE INFORMATION
When replacing the DRL lamp on the vehicles listed above, use bulb P/N 1999482. This bulb has a trade bulb number of 4157k. These bulbs should be replaced in pairs for customer satisfaction. This bulb has an expected bulb life that is almost double the previous bulb.

Parts Information
This new DRL bulb, P/N 1999482, is currently NOT available from GMSPO. Parts inventory is expected to be available shortly. However, the bulb may be purchased from the local jobber under the trade number 4157K.

When I bought my Yukon, it had one burned out and I got two new ones and they aren't as bright, but both working.

Aaron

tndetroiter

Reaction score
I've heard that the double-filiment bulb GM uses gets too hot, leading to alot of blown bulbs. I replaced mine with the single-filiment version, and 7 years later not a single blown bulb. When i changed them, i noticed the plug looked almost scorched! It may be the same part # GM recommends in their service bulletin. :Chevy: