Window Tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience was a little different, but I still think it applies here. When installing a SAT tuner in my MAX, I first tested the micro antenna in the back deck against the window for reception quality (back window tint = 5% limo dark). The signal wouldn't come in to register the channels. Once I moved the antenna back outside of the car, the channels came in fine. The only difference in position of my antenna now is it's just outside the bottom of the back window trim, mounted on the trunk...probably a difference of ~2 inches from where I tried to get a signal on the inside deck. So this rules out positioning in relation to the angle of exposure from roof-to-trunk (optimum line of sight for SAT signal). The ONLY thing I could conclude was that it was the tint that blocked the signal. And SAT radio is no different from GPS signal, I'm guessing. Just my two cents!!! :cool2:

Thundergod

Reaction score
Anyone know if tinting the entire winshield effects the perofrmance or radar/laser detectors? i have 5% on my passenger windows and the meter said 1% on my rear windows. i want to do my winshield? not legal in TX but.....ya know...:shhh:

If the tint has metal, it will affect you radar detector performance. But, you have a Cobra, so why care? They are garbage.
Go to: http://www.radardetector.net and you can find out more info than you could shake a stick at.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the tint has metal, it will affect you radar detector performance. But, you have a Cobra, so why care? They are garbage.
Go to: http://www.radardetector.net and you can find out more info than you could shake a stick at.

If your radar isn't working well I would go with Valentine, its never failed me, and i've only got one ticket, but thats because the cop saw me speeding, he didn't tag me with the gun. :Chevy:

WHEELMAN322

Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear from anyone who has tinted there front window and had no prob with teh NAV, I'm hesitant to tint the whole window becuase of this problem.

I have the entire windshields tinted on all my cars. I only tint them 35% so it's not a big deal. Never had a problem with any of my Navs. I notice my XM in the Dennali cuts out under bridges but I heard that's normal.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got suntek films on mine which is a carbon film. ive had no problems with radio or the gps messing up and ive got double 5% in the back 5% + 18% on my fronts and a 35% windshield with a 5% visor....

gundog

Reaction score
that sucks, its legal in FL

Sorry but window tint on the front windshield is not legal in Florida. Just thought I would pass this on before someone tints their windshield thinking that it is legal.

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
13% on Front Windshield and 5% on the Eyebrow, navi works great, i have and '06 so the 07's may be different, and my navi is the Clarion Navi

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front Windshield Tint is not legal ANYWHERE...go to the Eye Doctor and get a perscription for Window Tint...tell them that the sun hurts your eyes and the lights at night hurt your eyes as well...cops around here cant do anything about it :)

3rdeye

Reaction score
your wheels

i did 35% on entire windshield and 5% across the top with rest of windows 5%...............and i live in phoenix,az.....thats why!! btw, nav works just fine

Hey what kind of wheels do you have on your tahoe, and what size? Also, did you have to get your wheels sensors reconfigure so it will recognize in the system? Looks good thanks

spencer m

Reaction score
i have an 07 denali, and i have the backs tinted about 3% the fronts and the windshield 35% plus the strip across the top, and i have had no problem with my navi,
yehp, gotta love cali, im always paranoide when i drive here,, dont want to have to take these off

s2jay

Reaction score
i love winshield tint. it completes the look and you do not need to go as dark as the other windows, i use 35% to cancel out the incoming light. i was skeptical to do the tahoe but thanks to all for the info im going for it.

check it out on my s2000:
carpics052.jpg

and on my GTI:
gti.jpg

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn! i think im guna need to get my 35% off and get 18% on it now...