wipers stop working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

makmule

Reaction score
hey guys im having a problem with my wipers. i got a 97 tahoe 4 door ls. its only got 20 thousand miles on it. the other day i went to use my wipers and they didnt come on. i couldnt use my washer fluid either. then about 30 minutes later they started working again. its been happening for about a week now. anyone ever had the same problem? and know of a solutionl
thankjs

Razincayne

Reaction score
If I remember right there was a recall in 2003 for wiper troubles on 94-97 Tahoes and others. Your dealer will replace the wiper curcuit boards and motor cover at no cost to you. A few years back before I sold my 96 they did this for me and fixed my problem. They told me that water was able to get inside the curcuit board compartment.

Might be worth a call to your dealer.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take off the wiper motor cover. theres a printed circuit board in there which can also be removed.. check the exposed edge of this PCB for corrosion. clean it and add a haywire for a quick fix. use the wire to "jumper" over the corroded part. just solder it on there. should fix it.
There is a service bulliten for that, so the dealer thing should work as well like Razincayne said. the original wiper motor cover was too small to cover the whole board. or the board was to big to fit under the cover. I suppose the electrical engineers blame the mechanical engineers and vice-versa.

makmule

Reaction score
thanks guys. i called the dealer and they looked up the recall for my truck and said that my particular truck wasnt included in the recall. they looked up my vin for that. but thats kinda bull**** i think

Razincayne

Reaction score
Read this and then call one of these guys at the bottom of the page. I can not believe that with almost 2 million vehicles recalled that you are not included in this when you are having the same exact problems. I think your dealer is ( STROKING YOU )
Let us know what you find out as there are probably others who have this problem or going too. Good Luck

http://media.gm.com/news/releases/030501_recall.html

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, send a close up picture of the circuit board that is located right under the cover. its 4 allen-head screws if I remember correctly.

and yeah it does sound like the dealer is stroking you.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what the hell? the recall doesnt apply to 98-up???? i have a 99 that did it, does it seem like they fixed the problem?? luckly i didnt spend the money at the dealer for the fix or else id be pissed.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 99 does it.. they just stop working, gotta pop the hood hit the motor and boom there on again..