Won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frenzy

Reaction score
I have no idea what to search for, so here goes. This is an ongoing problem and we're at a loss for words and a shop is out of the question.

A friend of mine has a 98 Tahoe with literally 10k miles on a crate engine and it won't start. It sounds like it really really really wants to start.

While cranking, it will have bumping sounds coming from the intake, inconsistent cranking that puts an awful amount of load on the starter.

We've already burnt up a starter as a cause of this problem.

A friend of his has a code scanner which said map sensor or intake gaskets are the problem. So I replaced the map sensor, lower intake gaskets, plenum gasket and a few other small ones and its worse than before.

When I removed the 8 lower intake bolts, the driver rear side were so loose, I could take them out without tools, but thats just 2 out of 8 bolts.

Before this, it would at least run with partial throttle to keep it alive, but once you let go, it will stop like it hydro locks.

We're going to run codes again to see what its saying now.

Any suggestions?

I think its the pressure regulator and genius spider injection system.

I don't know what to do. HELP!!!

I'll see about getting video of it cranking.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
timming could be way off. distributor must be exact, there is no adjusting it.

UAV_1999

Reaction score
Timing

Sounds a little like timing. When was the distributer last touched? It's possible the timing chain jumped a tooth. I did it before racing my s10 4.3L after running it at 143mph racing against a Monte Carlo

Last edited:

Frenzy

Reaction score
There wasn't anything like a race, just hopping a 3"-4" curb. Could that knock the timing chain out of whack?

We replaced the dizzy due to the cap screw hole being broken off.

I looked in there and it can be 180° off or right on. Can a simple adjustment (slight turn) fix it? I tried that before all this took place and nothing helped.

It really does sound like timing, though. Without taking another weekend of ripping it apart again, is there any way to tell? That timing cover looks like a nightmare!

UAV_1999

Reaction score
Timing chain and cover will be a nightmare for you at first but I would exhaust all other options before you go that far. Are you getting fuel? The jolt may have loosened a wire somewhere. Nevermind you said it would run until you stop accelerating. Before I give you bad info. I'll check with my dad. He has over thirty years expirience strictly with Chevy and I will get back with you tomorrow.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just curious, i know you said shop is out of the question, but dont new engines come with atleast 6 months warrenty???

Frenzy

Reaction score
He moved here about a year ago from philly...i wish warranty would cover something!

Well unfortunate events have taken place today and ruined the whole day for working on a couple GMs' that have died. Nick's tahoe and the mom's blazer. ACK!!!

So someone came by his place today and put the scanner on it. They didn't tell me what it says, but he seems to think timing went way out of whack mostly due to the bumping sounds coming from the intake.
How can the timing chain just skip? I'm so lost :( I wonder if pouting and stomping will get me anything :D:D:D

I didn't test if power to the ecu is cut, the engine cranks fine like last time...that kinda tells me the timing is less of a culprit, but I don't want to challenge anybody that helps or at least tries! That's rude!

Thanks a bunch, guys. Hope to get enough time/daylight through the week to try new stuff out on it.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
timming has to be set with scanner. moving it either way alittle wont help. check that it is set properly. i doubt new engine timming chain jumped.

Frenzy

Reaction score
1999hoe, thats why I drive toyota. that blazer isnt the only broke-ass car that is a money pit. lol

mygreen, Timing is set by a scanner??? This is very new info to me.
Is this a regular obd2 scanner that can do this?

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not set with a timming light. i must be at 0 degrees, any variation will turn on the SES light.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cant speak for all scanners , i used the snap-on to do mine.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you checked that all wires are in correct place on dist. cap?

Frenzy

Reaction score
Not entirely sure on the plug wires being correct. Nobody took them off and when I took them off, they went in the same as they were before.

Well I don't have a scanner, so he'll have to bring his friend that has the scanner back over and see how it goes after that.

ChevyTilDeath

Reaction score
Your problem almost sounds like my problem I am having now...I am a loss for words and so are a lot of mechanics. Did you try jumping it? See now when I jump mine is starts....but without the jump it sounds exactly how yours is acting. It sounds like it wants to start and it sometimes sputters? I'm guessing the Pressure regulator. Won't hurt to try changing it. Very rare to go but if you have luck like me it's possible.

Frenzy

Reaction score
Well if it were me, I would've put the new spider injection kit on and know it is NOT the problem, but it isn't mine and the owner chose not to use it. It is $220 after $100 core and I put the whole thing back together :(:(:(:(:(

This damn thing keeps pushing me around to timing, electrical, fueling, retardedness, shoot it deadness, etc. It isn't even mine and I'm furious!!

Yes, when the jumper cables are put on, it runs. So you replaced the regulator ONLY or did the do the whole spider injection (genius lol) system?

The scanner guy said the intake pressure is so great that its popping the map sensor and the pcv valve out completely.

It didn't do that when I tried it...I have a feeling too many hands are in this engine bay to keep on 1 track.....I want to cry I'm so lost!

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after cranking, are any of the plugs saturated with fuel? when jump started it runs? if yes, runs fine? if yes, when shut off, will it restart without jump?

ChevyTilDeath

Reaction score
when jump started it runs and runs a little rich but it runs fine and when shut off it will start within 15-20 minutes or so without a jump sometimes.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like both of you have a similar problem. seems as if sitting after some time it wont start. as long as the battery is good, truck should crank no differently regardless of time interval, and thats not happening.
after you jump it and let it run, how about wait long enough for it not to start, then disable fuel pump,and injectors, pull spark plugs and see if fuel is forced out of plug holes, if so expect leaky injector(s)