Worst thing to happen to a 'Like a Rock' Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today is December 29, 2012 yesterday i was in Victorville, Ca after i had attended a funeral in Glendora, Ca i drove up the mountain on the 15 as i started to notice that "Tha HOE" was misfiring and not wanting to get up on that mountain seemed like i could not get er over 60 mph so i thought maybe my dumb a** left the cruise control on so i messed with it finally able to get over 60 mph still very weak feeling i tried giving it some WOT but didn't even get to 80 mph so know i thought definitely something is WRONG so i was already close thought i'd just wait til i got there.... then as soon as i stopped on the exit BOOM engine cuts out and i'm like WTF??!!? tried restarting but nothing only had a 1/4 left of gas when i stopped on my exit had 1/2 tank when i left from Glendora. Had to turn on E lights and stop at a Carl's Jr and thought maybe i just need gas??!? nope still didn't start so i know my "shaky" gas gauge was accurate and i called my bro who lives up there to come help. He then told me that we pour some gas in the throttle body where the injectors etc...are so we did and she started he then told me when we get to his house which was about 8 blocks away to turn her off so when we did he told me turn her back on and she only turned but didn't crank. He then told me that unfortunately my Fuel Pump has gone and that it's not giving enough pressure to start her and that it is completely normal for a truck that just got to 200K and is 14 years old. So yesterday night we were able to get her started and told me drive home but be careful and call me if she stalls and doesn't make it down the mountain so i left thinking i would hopefully make it. NOPE didn't make it only made it halfway down before she stalled and had to stop as to how there were many big rigs passing by at 9:05 pm in the night so i had trouble getting a tow truck until 10:23 pm from AAA and only had 7 miles of free tow and that if i wanted to get back to my brother's house (which was 28 miles back) it would cost me 140$ so i just left her at the nearest gas station until today in the morning when it was raining took her to the mechanic gonna charge me 270$ for a new AC Delco pump and a new Fuel Filter (which needed replacement as well) and now i do not have a car until Monday but atleast i was able to start her and drive her 22 miles from the gas station on Sierra Ave in Fontana, Ca by the 15 freeway to Colton, Ca where my mechanic's shop is located so even if she had a f*cked up fuel pump she: Still started and Drive 22 miles without even stalling once. So that just shows the potential of these "Like A Rock" 5.7L Vortec Engine's which is reliable no matter what :D :peace::win::33::everything:

Last edited:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesnt hurt to change the filter every once in a while too..... but they are a good engine if you take care of them.....

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i happened to change the pump and filter gas gauge still gets blurry from moving stepper motor in cluster will be replaced to fix that issue.

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOW i need to do engine tune-up wayy past due has original EVERYTHING plugs, wires, etc. so i need to spend atleast 120$ on all original AC Delco parts bought with 181K now at 200,104K Bought in November 15, 2011