XM cuts in and out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSX-WE4

Reaction score
I have 1,200 miles on my new Tahoe, just returning from a 800 mile road trip. The XM worked great everywhere but for the past 24 hours, it sounds like the signal is dropping in and out. It's worse near overhead wires but that could just be coincidence. Before I take it back to the dealer, is there anything I should check out on the vehicle? Thanks, Paul

bnamike

Reaction score
XM seems to be having some problems. I got this email from them this morning.

You may be experiencing temporary degraded performance with your XM reception at the present time. XM is aware of the issue and working diligently to resolve it as soon as possible. We anticipate full signal strength will be restored by early Tuesday morning.

Timgco

Reaction score
yep, same here. All three of our trucks did that yesterday. :cryin:

bnamike

Reaction score
Yea, it's sad. I've got a radio in my office and it's been showing no signal for the past two days.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had same issue yesterday...but all clear today, so they must have fixed it. :thumbsup:

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
This was in the WSJ

XM Suffers Service Outage
Due to Problems With Satellite
By ANDY PASZTOR and SARAH MCBRIDE
May 22, 2007 11:33 a.m.

XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. experienced a second day of outages Tuesday due to software problems with one of its four satellites.

The company initially expected to fix the problem Monday evening, but later said that the problems wouldn't be resolved until midday Tuesday.

Problems arose from software glitches in its XM-3 satellite, built by Boeing Co., which went into service only about a year ago. "The problem occurred during the loading of software to a critical component of our satellite broadcast system, which resulted in a loss of one of our satellites," said a note on the company's Web site Tuesday.

It's considered unusual for such satellites, designed with redundant onboard systems and in-orbit backup from other satellites, to suffer any interruption in customer service.

XM, based in Washington, D.C., didn't estimate how many subscribers have been affected. The service is still running on the company's Web site.

XM-3, a Boeing 702 satellite model, is responsible for some signals over the East Coast as well as a repeater network that amplifies service in urban areas. It was launched earlier than XM initially projected to compensate for significant electrical-power problems aboard the first two Boeing-built XM satellites. Those satellites, built with defective solar arrays, will last for fewer years than planned.

Those early malfunctions resulted in a distracting and unsuccessful two-year arbitration proceeding to try to recover the full extent of the company's financial costs. A fourth Boeing-built satellite was launched last year.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117984626644610883.html?mod=home_whats_news_us

ChiTownTimmay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service restored

Looks like we should be back up and running....

XM Radio Resumes Normal Levels of Service

XM Satellite Radio has resumed normal levels of service for customers who experienced outages or significantly degraded service starting yesterday.

The problem occurred during the loading of software to a critical component of the satellite broadcast system, which resulted in a temporary loss of signal from one of the company's satellites.

After you turn on your XM radio, please allow five to ten minutes to reacquire the XM signal.

XM apologizes for any inconvenience this has caused.

Andy4639

Full Access Member
Reaction score
XM

I want to know where my rebate is for the last 2 day's of no signal. I called the Chevy dealer and asked about it today myself. He had no clue! I guess I need to call XM now thanks for the info. I'm glad it wasn't just me.

ChiTownTimmay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about doing the same thing by calling them, but the amount of time I would spend on the phone arguing with these people is not worth the 2 free days to me.

njyukon

Reaction score
XM Stinks

Sirius is much better! The channels are better and the reception in heavily treed areas is better..

I wish the GM line came with SIRIUS vs XM.

:(

p26963

Reaction score
I second that. I'm still waiting from Soundgate to introduce their new product that will integrate Sirius with the new 2007 Tahoe radio.

Sirius is much better! The channels are better and the reception in heavily treed areas is better..

I wish the GM line came with SIRIUS vs XM.

:(

njyukon

Reaction score
yes

So am I, I did some calling yesterday and tried to find out any info as to when it will be out. Most answers I got were.. by the end of the year, but I think thats people just talking out of their you know what. I have 3 free months of XM and I DONT want to renew it...

p26963

Reaction score
Same here... I'm either waiting for the FCC to allow the merger to go through or waiting for the Soundgate adapter to come out.

Do you have your Sirius PNP unit connected to your AUX IN? I'd rather not have all the wires but it might have to do until one of the two above happen.

So am I, I did some calling yesterday and tried to find out any info as to when it will be out. Most answers I got were.. by the end of the year, but I think thats people just talking out of their you know what. I have 3 free months of XM and I DONT want to renew it...

njyukon

Reaction score
Im actually just dealing with XM right now. I just bought my Yukon last week and I had Sirius in my jeep that I traded in, but its a hard wired system, not a PNP. So I didnt want to rip the dash apart to install it in the Yukon. I work in the Satellite Industry, actually right down the road from where the Sirius satellites are flown. I know some people that work there, and they dont feel too confident that the merger will go through, but well see. And Im not too sure that even if it did, that our XM systems would automatically work, I think we would still need some sort of Adapter to play the Sirius channels.

There are other companies besides soundgate that make adapters too, Do some checking on the internet and youll see the others. Im sure there are a few companies working on it as we type!