Yucon or Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbriddle

Reaction score
I plan on buying either a Yucon or Tahoe once GM starts taking orders for 2009. However I can't decide which one I like better. I've quized all my friends and so far it's split up the middle. I like the hood on the Yucon better but the lights seem a little large for now. That may grow on me after a while.
Also, I do prefer the tail lights and body color third light and surrounding trim on the Tahoe. I do plan on getting Silver Birch if that makes any difference.

Finally, do you think the Yucon's smoother front end or the boxier Tahoe would look better with a 4" lift.

Wish I could figure out how to post a poll. Newbie here.

Mark

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tahoe with a lift definatly. i plan on ordering a gold mist. Good luck.

IMO the 09 yukon front end is FUGLY. why i bought an 06 one.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was torn when we bought the 2008 Tahoe, I like the interior of the Yukon over the Tahoe but the exterior of the Tahoe Z71 hands down over the Yukon. The back of the Yukon looks good, but those lights up front are just fugly.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.......those lights up front are just fugly.
You got that right! Headlights aside, I think it depends on which trim level you're looking at in the Tahoe. If you're were going to go with the LTZ, it might be worth while looking at the Yukon. With the Yukon you have things like the all wheel drive option, the 10 speaker Bose sound system with active noise cancelling (Audio Pilot), and other options not found on the Tahoe. I'd opt for the Yukon only if I was thinking about a fully optioned Denali. Like the guy above said, those headlights.....!!

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned a '07 Tahoe, '07 Yukon XL and '07 Yukon XL Denali (don't ask why!) and each have different qualities. I would go Tahoe/Suburban unless you are planning on getting a Denali, but it all depends on what look you are trying to achieve.

Personally, if you are going for the big chrome wheel "blinged" out look, I think it looks way better on a Denali. If you are going for the "murdered out" look or going to lower or lift it, it definitely looks better on a Tahoe/Suburban. I LOVE the HP of the Denali, and that combined with the fact that my wife wouldn't let me lift a Z71 Suburban is why we went that route. Now that the 6.2L is going to be available in the Chevy lineup, that would have made my decision alot harder.

Another thing to consider is how many of one vehicle do you see in your area?
I see WAY more Tahoes/Suburbans here, and I like the fact that you don't see as many Denalis. To each his own, but you can't go wrong with either.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Kon has a little more to offer as far as trim for the interior.
I went with the LTZ cause I didnt care for the Grille on the Yukon (Denali). It's all a matter of your own personal taste.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah seems like its all about personal taste. For me the Tahoe, i'm goin Z71 so that's that. But Denali's are cool. It's been Chevy in my family for anything American (except for some Mustangs) ever since my dad was a Chevy line mechanic back in the early '70's.

elbeto

Reaction score
I plan on buying either a Yucon or Tahoe once GM starts taking orders for 2009. However I can't decide which one I like better. I've quized all my friends and so far it's split up the middle. I like the hood on the Yucon better but the lights seem a little large for now. That may grow on me after a while.
Also, I do prefer the tail lights and body color third light and surrounding trim on the Tahoe. I do plan on getting Silver Birch if that makes any difference.

Finally, do you think the Yucon's smoother front end or the boxier Tahoe would look better with a 4" lift.

Wish I could figure out how to post a poll. Newbie here.

Mark

YUKON all the way.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...but those lights up front are just fugly.

:smilielol::smilielol::smilielol:

I hear ya, but they've grown on me. HIDs help, but I'd be happier with a more aggressive look like on the Hoe's/Burb's... Oh well, can't have it all. I'll just have to "settle" for my fugly Denali, right? :D

Jonesy08054

Reaction score
The ugly mug of the Yukon is what turned me off from the GMC. I ended up going with a Silver Birch Z71, pretty much loaded with the two tone black and silver leather. I love the look of the Z71! My $.02

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 Yukon. The looks was not the reason, it was bought. I have a much closer GMC dealer and they are open until 9:00 pm on weeknights and until 4:00 on Saturdays. The looks grow on you! My wife & I are happy with ours.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ugly mug of the Yukon is what turned me off from the GMC. I ended up going with a Silver Birch Z71, pretty much loaded with the two tone black and silver leather. I love the look of the Z71! My $.02

To each his own!!! If you're comparing the two, be sure to check out one of each with the 6.2L. The 6-speed Denali tranny is superior as well.

As far as GMT900's go, I do think that a Hoe / Burb looks better with a lift. Yukon's look okay with a lift, and there are not too many lifted Yukon Denali's around that I've seen. Depends on what you're after, I suppose...

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the 6.2L and a 6 speed tranny, Tahoe's usually get a good look at my taillights not my headlights.:yesnod:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the 6.2L and a 6 speed tranny, Tahoe's usually get a good look at my taillights not my headlights.:yesnod:

:thumbsup: :smilielol: :thumbsup: :smilielol: :thumbsup:

I'm with you on that one man!!! :D

jimjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why bothering here? Just take the one you like better. Mechanically not a big difference if any.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why bothering here? Just take the one you like better. Mechanically not a big difference if any.

Just curious, but what led you to have a Burb and an XL Denali? Which one do you like better, and why, or do you "love them the same"? ;)

jimjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getwired,

this is easy. I bought the Suburban for my wife here in Austria. I liked the Chevy's look better than the GMC. For myself I have a long Ford F-250. As I bought a house in California I was split in between the F250 or another Burb. I felt more passenger capacity is better than cargo so I looked around. My dealer could not locate the 8 seat Suburban I wanted so I checked with a GMC dealership and they got it right for me. A Caddy would have been nice but the value did not match the price.

Funny to note that there are hardly any 8 seaters around. Looking through the types offered to me 90 % are with the captains.

Btw. the Burb is much quieter than the GMC and has way better fuel economy. Quietness feeling is both for engine and insulation(!). Here the GMC comes way short. Of course the GMC has more power. My GMC is white which is fine for California but the dark gray interior is depressing. Just imagine the black on black horror. Cool look outside, though. The blue Chevy with light interior is much more friendly.

Besides these things there isn't much of a difference. The GMC has navigation which is nice but lacks cylinder deactivation and 2x4 mode. Its automatic seat folding is useless for me.

There are more good things on both I would like so see on my Ford but as you know there are some design flaws, too.

Jim