Yukon plow truck.. a couple questions... axles and frames

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rabbit121

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm trying gather some info for my father.. He just picked up a 2001 Yukon for some light duty/residential plowing.. 3 driveways and a small lot where our shop is. He's been using a 95 Silverado and a 7.5' diamond but it's time to retire the pickup.. and he wanted an SUV for the occasional family trip in the summer so I found him a nice 01 Yukon (4.8 V8).

SO far we've come to the conclusion the front end is a bit lighter and the tranny may not be as heavy but I can't see it being a big problem since he's not plowing commercial or anything..

But I was wondering if it would be possible to use pickup axles etc. in the Yukon?

We already know about using the ford torsion bar keys up front and he'll get some spring spacers for the rear as well.

Also... he happens to have the plow mount for a 2000+ 1500 pickup already. Are the frames on the Yukon/tahoe identical to the pickups or would it most likely need to be modded?

thanks for any help or suggestions.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hate chiming in when i dont know what i am talking about, but maybe i can get the ball rolling here....

I have always been under the impression that the tahoe/yukon were built on the same 1500 frame as the pickups...

as for your other questions... im clueless

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hate chiming in when i dont know what i am talking about, but maybe i can get the ball rolling here....

I have always been under the impression that the tahoe/yukon were built on the same 1500 frame as the pickups...

as for your other questions... im clueless

I dont think so. My silverado has a completly different suspension than my 06 yukon did.

It has leaf springs insted of coils. I think front end is similer, but definatly not rear end.

But they also changed them up in 03. So 00-02 may be different.

I say get an 02 denali for your work. AWD. Plus the 6.0 liter. You can get one for 6-8k depending on miles. 02 had a much stronger transfercase than the 03 and up.

rabbit121

Reaction score
He was looking at an 02 Denali with the 6.0 but the biggest problem is that the Denali has no Low Range 4x4 which really takes the stress off the drivetrain. It had traction control and a locking rear diff which would have been sweet but he really wants the low range. Anyhow... the 4.8 still has way more power than the 5.7 in his old Silverado.. it was just the TBI engine, not the Vortec so it's only 210 hp... the Yukon's 4.8 is 275 I believe. feels to have plenty of grunt as long as the tranny and front end can handle it.

BTW Does anyone know if you can get Air shocks for the front as well? He wants to keep the ride close to stock as possible when the plow comes off. and if he uses the ford keys I doubt he's going to want to take them in and out every season.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all I'd look at a 2500hd, better trans, bigger engine, bigger axles, better gearing, bigger frame, stronger steering. IF you want to keep the yukon the engine should be plenty strong in 4lo, you will go through pitman/idler arms as well as inner and outer tie rod ends. I'd highly recommend the steering braces from www.cognitomotorsports.com. The 1500 silverado 4wd trucks are identical front suspensions, the rear on the yukon being 4link coils as opposed to the leaf springs on the pickups. Transmissions and axle sizes are identical for both the 1500 trucks and suvs.

rabbit121

Reaction score
Thanks Boostaholic, I hope your right. I think the reason I was under the impression the Tahoe/Yukon had a lighter front end it because the threads I've been reading about were probably comparing 2500HD with Tahoe/Yukons... and not 1500 series like I assumed..