Z-71 suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeDan

Reaction score
Hey guys. New to the forum here and hoping you guys can help me out. Am in search of a Tahoe either 07 or 08 slightly used but am unsure which one to get. I VERY much like the look of the Z-71, inside and out, but we wont really be doing much offroading so we really don't need the suspension. Does the Z-71 suspension ride that much harsher than the standard suspension offered in the non-Z71 Tahoes?

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a Denali man, so I could be wrong, but if I was opting for a Tahoe/Suburban I would go w/ the Z71 b/c I believe all of them come w/ the 4.10 gears. Guys w/ 4.10's claim to get better MPG and have more low end power. Besides, the exterior and especially the interior looks are so much better IMO.

Back to your question, I've heard that the Z71 does ride a little "stiffer" but it's all personal taste, but changing the ride is a lot easier then changing gears or the interior/exterior differences.

TahoeDan

Reaction score
All Z-71's come with 4.10s?

How would 4.10s increase mpg? I need that one explained. I know in my Vette the 4.10s decreased my mpg by 1 or 2 mpg.

GMTech48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
410 is an option, my '08 has 373.....410 should give better mpg in city driving b/c you need less pedal to get moving from a stop.

My Z71 rides like a dream....not harsh by any means, wouldn't want it any softer.

PaulC

Reaction score
If you drive in snow, A/T tire selection should be better for the z71 18's than for the 20's available on the LS/LT and standard on the LTZ. The base 17's on the LS and LT offer by far the most plentiful tire choices, as Ford began using 265/70-17s as optional tires on the Expedition and F-150 back in 1997.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really a matter of taste. I have had two Z71's and a LT and they are pretty different. The Z71 suspension doesn't ride as smooth on the interstate but if you have really bad roads, the Z71 actually handles it better. The Premium Smooth Ride does better on good roads and the interstate and the Z71 does better on really bad roads and where I noticed a big difference was on dirt roads and washboard like surfaces.

But like I said, the Z71 feels a lot stiffer with regular driving. Drive both and see which one you prefer.

TahoeDan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It sounds like they are that much of a difference so i guess I should test them both out. Man I just really like the look of that Z71 though so hopefully its not that much harsher.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i test drove the two back to back and there is a difference. For me I liked the Z71 ride a lot more than the standard model. The Z71 was stiffer and felt more planted with less body roll. As stated above, the standard suspension is feels more smooth with kind of a floating sensation.

The 4.10 FD is an option and it feels like it accelerates better (back to back test).

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you test one w/ Autoride? There is a big difference between a Tahoe with, and a Tahoe without. If you are trying to determine wether to get a Z71 or regular Tahoe based on ride, you would technically need to test drive all 3.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I myself haven't driven the others so I have no base for comparison, but I love the way my Z rides. As said above, nice and tight and feels planted. Nothing too rough about it, all my friends were also impressed with how smooth it is.

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with regular driving on the interstate and city all of my passangers have said its one of the smoothest rides they have been in, but i cannot tell you in comparison to an LT or LTZ but it will be stiffer. I think the Z71 looks better and for the ride i cant complain

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven both a regular tahoe and own a Z71 and I really haven't noticed the difference in the quality of the ride. You know which one i'm going to recommend.

RMC_SS_LDO

Reaction score
After owning our '08 Z71 for a few months (trading an '04 2X4 Avalanche) I am still very impressed with the ride quality.

When we traded for the Tahoe, we wanted to go with a 4X4, but I have always dis-liked the typical harsh or bouncy ride. I really liked the looks of the Z71 package, but I had "rough ride" in my mind and hesitated.

Well, I hesitated for about 2 miles on the test drive after being plesantly surprised. I agree with a number of other posters here in that the Z71 adds a bit of firmness that is a very good balance.

Just my $.02...

v/r

Allen