Z71 in the snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your going strait and not flooring it, most people who drive in snow do that.

just dont turn or brake hard at that speed.

I agree, but if you have to emergency stop you have a problem. This is why you have 50 car pile ups in the snow every year or two, often with some dead people.

rockrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but if you drive on the highway in the snow everyday, even 50 seems slow. People die on the highways everyday under perfect conditions. Pick you battles not your ass :p.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can drive at 50 in snow safely, it all depends on how you drive. If you think you can drive 50 in snow and tailgate and still be driving safe you are an idiot. As long as you do everything more gradual and leave WAY more room in front of you than normal, snow is not a problem.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think all hoes come with a locking dif, i wonder if i have one, seems like i do for how good she performs off road, if not i dont need it.

Check your sticker in the glove box that lists all of the options. Locking diff is G80.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most tahoes came with the gov-loc g80 limited slip (or grenade-loc as they're commonly called). Check the glovie for all your truck's designations including trim levels, gears, and all the other fun options these trucks come with.

tommyg

Reaction score
I took my Z71 to mammoth over the weekend in the middle of a snow storm/blizzard warning and got the chance to test its off road capabilities for a few days. I must say it performed excellent. In a chain controlled 35mph limit, i was cruising at 50mph without any issues. At one point i had to swerve around a 4-runner which was sliding to avoid a collision. The tahoe handled withou ever losing traction...i was very impressed and am loving my z71 just a little bit more after the trip....

Chain control 35mph blizzard conditions, and you're driving 50? Do you have a death wish?

I drove up to Tahoe in the snow last weekend, and totally trusted my '07 Yukon the whole way...but wouldn't think of doing 50 in weather like that no matter what I was driving. Life is too short as it is, no reason to hasten your exit. Glad you were ok swerving around the 4runner, but what if the truck didn't live up to your expectations?

ochaole

Reaction score
Chain control 35mph blizzard conditions, and you're driving 50? Do you have a death wish?

I drove up to Tahoe in the snow last weekend, and totally trusted my '07 Yukon the whole way...but wouldn't think of doing 50 in weather like that no matter what I was driving. Life is too short as it is, no reason to hasten your exit. Glad you were ok swerving around the 4runner, but what if the truck didn't live up to your expectations?

50 was on the way home, it was sunny but still a lot of snow....