Z71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guardian

Reaction score
Ok, I have a 2008 Z71 4x2 (no, it's not a 4x4), so what does the Z71 stand for? I know it use to mean off-road, but where did the term "Z71" come from. (Umh, could it just be the item number on the truck order form?)

Yesterday I saw a "Z66" Avalanche. What's that?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, all these numbers designate the RPO code for the package; like Z71 was Chevy's code for off-road suspension package before it went on a badge or sticker. A lot of other features have been added to it over the years. Same thing for Z66 i'm sure, but I don't know much about it. Everything gets a code, like PCJ for Nav, DVD, Sunroof, Camera package, and G5 for 4.10 gears, etc.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never heard of a Z71 that wasn't 4x4. Z71 has a locking rear dif, off road suspension(which is not as comfortable on the highway) skid plates and some other items. Why get an off road package for a vehicle that should not be taken off road?

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never heard of a Z71 that wasn't 4x4. Z71 has a locking rear dif, off road suspension(which is not as comfortable on the highway) skid plates and some other items. Why get an off road package for a vehicle that should not be taken off road?

Most Z71s are 4x4s. But now you can get Silverados, Colorados, and Tahoes in the Z71 2wd form.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most Z71s are 4x4s. But now you can get Silverados, Colorados, and Tahoes in the Z71 2wd form.

Lot of money to spend on something that is really only a benefit off road.
Besides, the non-Z71 suspension is a much better ride on road

beach109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z71 was and is just the option code for special off-road suspension.

THEN, as in more recent years, it transformed from that to also being an appearance thing, especially on the SUV's.

Z66, on the Avalanche (we had one), was a creative way of marketing the same appearance pieces as a Z71, but with a "Premium On Road Ride" suspension for 2wd only models, that really lived up to the moniker. It was a great package, when it was offered for 2wd's.

Really, as far as the name, both were just codes...but the marketing departments in GM one day just decided those codes sounded fitting enough to actually become emblems & stickers on the vehicles, and option packages titled as such. Z66, for instance, was reminiscent of Route 66 and cruising it.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the marketing worked on me:). I wanted the Z71 offroad package and in my opinion it is worth the extra cost. I actually prefer the stiffer onroad ride since I thought the standard setup was too soft. Also, I go offroad once per week and the suspension works great.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines

I always thought the Z 71 should be 4X4 only, why they make a 2 WD off road package is beyond me, makes as much sense as Toyota's prerunner.:skep: :skep:

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the marketing worked on me:). I wanted the Z71 offroad package and in my opinion it is worth the extra cost. I actually prefer the stiffer onroad ride since I thought the standard setup was too soft. Also, I go offroad once per week and the suspension works great.

Worked on me too! Loved the appearances of the interior package much better - the chrome/aluminum look compared to the wood grain along with the black/silver seat, stiffer ride, larger tires. Plus the fact that it is different from all the LTZs you always see. Just my .02.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was an appearance thing for me. I traded my wifes 2003 Z71 4x4 for a 2008 Z71 2WD. The reason for getting a 2WD was that the 4x4 MIGHT have been used twice on the 2003, we really didn't need it in Florida. It was also more to go wrong and made the insurance more expencive. The only major problems we had with the 2003 were transfer case.

I don't know if the 2WD rides stiffer than the NBS LT models, I didn't even test drive one because it looked too plain. All I know is that our Z71 is a 2wd, rides nicely, and looks better than the LT's and LTZ's.

Guardian

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the explanations. I'm in the middle of a 1,600 mile trip in my '08 Z71. Gone about 550 miles so far and it rides just great even over some rough Louisiana roads, through Texas and up close to Oklahoma.

Had rain all day Monday coming out of San Antonio thru Houston and up to Kinder, LA. Only concern was the "new" windshield wipers hadn't got much use in San Antonio. Looks like the melted to the window and were kind of sticky in two spots. They would grab as they went across these areas and shake like crazy. Had to stop and clean the windows real good.

Now for some rest and more driving tomorrow. I think the Z71 ride is just a nice as can be.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I driven a regular tahoe and a Z71 and I really dont notice a difference in the quality of the ride. maybe I'm too much of a man too notice the tiny differences.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the new suvs the z71 package is more than an offroad susp package it comes with alot of different interior pieces like carbonfiber guages, satin chrome dash inserts, and option on different color center pieces on leather. for exterior add ons including flares, steps, different front bumper wheels and tires.

i do agree that the z71s ride awesome but it doesnt ride as nice as my sisters ltz.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But the Z71 will go places the ltz cannot.

ya the z71 will out perform the ltz offroad but it really isnt that much different same ground clearance same tire size, both at 4x4 and have the g80. only difference is the z71 might handle better offroad and has alittle bit more aggressive tire than the ltz. she only uses it to goto school and such so it does her well...she actually wanted an escalade but that didnt happen!