01 Tahoe stalling.........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkunkApe

Reaction score
240000 mi - 5.3
Wife was driving when engine stalled. No sputtering or other symptoms; just quit. She pulled over, waited a couple minutes and it fired right up with no issues and headed back to house. It stalled on her once more on 5 mi trip back home.
At the house it started right up and idled for about 3 minutes and died. Tried again although harder to start it idled for maybe a minute and died again.
1st thought was fuel filter. I changed it out. The old one was really bad. Added a jug of seafoam. Started it again and it idled for about 3 minutes and died again. I left alone for 2 days. Thought the bad filter may have caused a pump failure.
Rented a fuel pressure tester and here are my readings; cycle 53, idle 49, in gear with brake on 48, and when vacuum line from regulator disconnected about 58. There was no gas evident on or around the regulator.
Started it again and it started and idled beautifully for about 10 minutes. I got brave and decided to drive it down the road and about a 1/2 mile from the house it died again. No sputtering or other symptoms; it just shut down.
Like my wife, I sat there a couple of minutes and started it right up and went another 200 yards or so to turn around and it died again. This time there was no starting it again and had to tow it home.
I'm pretty sure the pump is weak, but I don't think that would cause the shut down issue. The problem seems to occur after it warms up or gets to operating temp.
Put a code reader on it today and all I got were PO446 Evap emission (probably clogged canister) and CO265 ABS. Don't think either of those would cause stalling.
I'm just not buying the idea it's the fuel pump. I've read too many posts with similar symptoms and replacing the pump didn't fix it.
I've heard the possibility of a bad cat converter. But wouldn't that show up on code reader?
I've heard it could be the ignition switch. Have no idea how to test that.
One post I read had almost same symptoms. Yes, he put in a fuel pump to no avail. Turned out to be wiring to the Crankshaft Position Sensor had come in contact with exhaust. When manifold heated up it sent bad messages to PCM.
I'm on the verge of paying someone to troubleshoot it. Any ideas?

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
evap codes wouldn't make the truck stall, but MAF and CKP sensors will make it stall without codes. I would start with making sure everything was hooked up accordingly and check all fluids. Replace crank sensor and make sure you take it to a shop to do the crank sensor calibration. Sensor should be just above the starter.

SkunkApe

Reaction score
Thanks Samo........

I don't think it's the MAF because I'm not getting the associated symptoms. I will check it to see if it's dirty just to be sure. If the crank sensor has to be calibrated it looks like I'm going to the shop anyway. What a pain.

SkunkApe

Reaction score
MAF is not dirty..........

Still lookin' for the magical cure before I take it to the moonlighting GM tech.

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pop for the $100 and let the dealer hook it up and tell you exactly what it is and you can fix it.(if you get lucky) Whole lot less headaches.

SkunkApe

Reaction score
Thanks Mayhem;

It's already under the GM tech's shade tree.
I will post the verdict once it's in.

Scrtcell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a buddy with 5.3 tahoe had almost exact same symptoms and I couldn't figure it out either he took it to the dealer and they said it was a bad ground now,where that bad ground was I have no idea but it must have been under the truck so I would start looking there,didn't make any sense to me but he hasn't had a problem since....

SkunkApe

Reaction score
Diagnosed as fuel pump :(

I could've replaced that. I told the tech to go ahead and do it for $500; that way I wouldn't have to tow it 8 miles back home.
Supposedly I could go pick it up now, but he is bringing home his shop code reader tonight to see if anything else shows up.
I'll keep you all posted......................

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, sorry the simplest things get past me sometimes. Sounds like that would be correct, and did they change the filter too?

SkunkApe

Reaction score
Yep, fuel pump.

Tahoe running like new as far as I know. Wife went and stole it from tech today cause she couldn't get hold of girlfriend (tech's wife). Left check for for $495 in door and drove off with Tahoe. So far so good. I'll get more info later and keep you posted.

o1Tahoe619

Reaction score
skunk ape I have an 01 Tahoe half the mileage as yours...same exact symptoms! Its at the mechanic now and he said it is either my fuel pump or the wiring.He said he would call me tomorrow to tell me exactly :/ either way Im prepared to spend a grand. With the help of my cousin we changed some oem hoses cleaned the maf changed the pcv and put a new fuel filter in plus sea foam...still had the same
issues. I hope its less than a grand.

SkunkApe

Reaction score
Yea, a new fuel pump is a pain in the **s.

A grand sounds expensive. I had an 02 Astro that cost 500 for an oem pump replacement at shop. The Tahoe cost 500 (495 to be exact) for an oem pump change. I wish I could have known for sure it was the pump. I would have changed it myself.

SkunkApe

Reaction score
Been driving it all over creation.............

Tahoe is running like a champ. Lesson learned?
Even if the fuel pressure checks out o.k. on the low side of OEM spec's, it could be (definitely was in my case), bad enough to cause the symptoms I had at the beginning of this thread. Who knew?
I still have to figure out what tipped off the dealer tech, cause the first time I talked to him with the pressure readings he seemed to think they were o.k.?

SkunkApe

Reaction score
Yes I did Bowtie.

The pressure at cycle (turn the key on 2-3 times without starting) was 53 psi.
53 psi is on the low end but within OEM range for testing. That's the reason I had a hard time with it being the fuel pump; well, that and the fact I could hear the fuel pump kick on every time I turned the key.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be at specified pressure with one ignition cycle if it takes 2 to 3 times theres a problem also if cranking it will also drop out of specs.. just posting this incase someone with the same issue is searching