02 Tahoe Front Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyC

Reaction score
Hello all, new here. Just bought an 02 and realized my front speakers do not play like rears, almost no sound, very faint even if volume turned up. Rears play fine. I did all adjustments with fade and balance. What do you think the problem is with?

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its possible that it can be your factory amp or the speakers themselves. To test this, you can use another speaker that you may have laying around and hook it up to the front speaker wires to see if your getting the same results. If so, then the factory amp is suspect. If not, and the speaker sounds fine, then you more than likely need to replace the speakers. I do find it odd that both front speakers would go at the same time, but its not entirely impossible.

clkelley

Reaction score
It could also be a grounded wire in the speaker wiring itself. MAke sure to check all the wiring to ensure you don't have some pinched or something like that behind the dash, etc.

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my years of installing car audio, I would think that a ground in the speaker system that has current going through it from an amp, aftermarket or stock, it would cause the fuse to blow and make the radio inoperable until the fuse was replaced.

Not so much when the volume is low, but as the volume is increased, the output from the amp is also increased causing the fuse to blow.

Either way, OP let us know what you find. Hopefully you resolve the issue one way or the other.

andyC

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. I looked around to see if previous owner had modified the stock sound setup and couldn't find any evidence of tampering. I went ahead and removed door panel, tried another speaker and full sound, replaced both speakers and all is now good. Guess both were blown!

boomtown

Reaction score
Thanks for you input on this topic. I am new to this forum (just bought an 02 Tahoe) and have the same issue with my truck. Question: Do you have to remove the whole door panel to access the speakers? Also, does anyone know of a quality aftermarket replacement speaker that is a direct fit. My system in not the Bose. Thanks for your help.

andyC

Reaction score
Hey, yes you do, they are really easy, take sail panel off first, remove a few screws then slide up on panel, comes right off. I replaced my speakers with a set of alpines from best buy, had to drill a few holes in sheet metal and solder the speaker wire to new speakers. Sounds just fine.

boomtown

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I will try just the front pair for now and see how that sounds.