03 yukon Mods for Fuel Economy any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clp71220

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I am aware of the problems that they have had in the past and I know that they have all been corrected. That is why I listen to that hotline. My kit is wired to the fuel pump running circuit. And I know when the milege falls it is time to clean the cell. The cell has to season for a time depending on the stainless steel impurities. I knew about all this before I purchased the kits. I have done my homework in regards to this system.

clp71220

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is some good information Justin. Thanks
I do have a question. When you look at a stock Tahoe or Yukon what are the first things you address in the performance arena. Since I have put the HHO on the Yukon it has no hesitation what so ever in throttle response. Reason I say that I am wondering if there is another area that I could focus on to take more advantage of this higher octane fuel. I figure with these heavy trucks that the more HP you have the better mileage under light load you can get.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet this thred hit 50 pages:D

You know what, i made my yukon the most fuel efficent vehicle on the planet, its sitting in my garage LOL. BUt it will become slightly less fuel efficent when i go to work tommarrow

clp71220

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It proably will hit 50 pages. I am here looking for good information about things that have been tried on these vehicals.
I want to know about those that worked and those that did not.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So than I should get back to calculating my MPG's by hand again if Im goingto continue to drive liek an old ass man

LOL.. it only throws it off by a little bit... ;)

Don't worry... I drive like that too (unless I'm by myself and feeling a bit spunky... :cool2:)

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL.. it only throws it off by a little bit... ;)

Don't worry... I drive like that too (unless I'm by myself and feeling a bit spunky... :cool2:)

i guess at the end of the day it really doesnt matter, i am doing what i can to save gas and calculating it out really doesnt change the fact...

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It proably will hit 50 pages. I am here looking for good information about things that have been tried on these vehicals.
I want to know about those that worked and those that did not.

Well, a report on the exhaust ... it didn't really publish any city gains, of course I have been unable to get a quality tank for comparisson. The day I got it done, I took it on the first trip... ~350 miles... 18MPG average... pulling hills w/ me (fat...), wife (pregnant), and kid... along with some of our stuff... I think the highway rating on this 'hoe is around 16 or so... since then I have driven 1 tank... at 11.0 MPG, which included a 25 minute idle session as I went into Wendy's to get some food, several 15-20 minute idle sessions at Sonic and / or grocery stores. It's rated at 12MPG... I think with less idle sessions, I can hit 13-13.5 city... After looking at the EPA rating (www.fueleconomy.gov) I may say that I'm getting better gas mileage, however I have no verifiable proof. I am going to do a tune up this weekend to hopefully gain some as well. It seems like it's taking too long to start now... perhaps some new spark plugs / wires and a clean fuel filter will give me an extra point or 2?

clp71220

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to replace my spark plugs with these. I like this design because you do not have to index them and that is a real plus. Indexing spark plugs sucks.

Brisk Premium LGS spark plug has been developed after two-year cooperation with Lamborghini Morori Marini. This spark plug utilizes extremely long glide-spark and massive integrated side electrode. Massive integrated side electrode ensures superior heat removal from active part of the spark plug even in the most extreme conditions, therefore eliminating electrode burn off seen on conventional spark plugs in race applications. Extremely long glide spark (almost 3mm) protrudes deep into combustion chamber, carries more potential charge and is unshielded by the conventional side ground electrode. The air and fuel mixture is ignited more spontaneously and flame front spread is unrestricted and more uniform.

clp71220

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also considering using these wires for the new plugs. I am still undesided on this one though.

MPG-PLUS, premium ignition wire sets and coil on plug kits.
MPG PLUS increases horsepower and torque, allows easier engine starts, and is custom tailored for your vehicle for easy installation.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to replace my spark plugs with these. I like this design because you do not have to index them and that is a real plus. Indexing spark plugs sucks.

Brisk Premium LGS spark plug has been developed after two-year cooperation with Lamborghini Morori Marini. This spark plug utilizes extremely long glide-spark and massive integrated side electrode. Massive integrated side electrode ensures superior heat removal from active part of the spark plug even in the most extreme conditions, therefore eliminating electrode burn off seen on conventional spark plugs in race applications. Extremely long glide spark (almost 3mm) protrudes deep into combustion chamber, carries more potential charge and is unshielded by the conventional side ground electrode. The air and fuel mixture is ignited more spontaneously and flame front spread is unrestricted and more uniform.

I was looking at the E3's...
e3splash.jpg

Horsepower Tv tested them and found like a 5hp gain and a fuel mileage increase over Bosch +4's... but I've seen too many reports of the ends burning off... and at $6... I'd rather just use NGK's I can get at Autozone / Checker Auto. I have not seen a real world test (non-biased... like HPTV may be... who knows who's lining their pockets?) with the E3's vs. other brands. Any stories I've seen are they have replaced them at a tune-up or replaced old worn out ones... which would have probably yeilded an increase anyways w/ $.99 Autolites...

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea $25 per is about $20 more than i want to spend on a spark plug.... but i would LOVE to check these out just cuz i have to know what $25 gets you

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per boostaholic's advice, I think I'm going to do:

NGK TR5 plugs... http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=NGK&MfrPartNumber=2238&PartType=960&PTSet=A

Autolite wires... http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=ATL&MfrPartNumber=97067&PartType=5004&PTSet=A

Fuel Filter... http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=FRA&MfrPartNumber=G3727&PartType=4&PTSet=A

and wait for Jennabear's AEM Brute Force CAI to be ready... :D

I was going to go with 8-8.5mm wires... but I'm not sure the small performance gains will make up for the extra pricetag and wait time...

.justin.

Reaction score
and wait for Jennabear's AEM Brute Force CAI to be ready... :D

I was going to go with 8-8.5mm wires... but I'm not sure the small performance gains will make up for the extra pricetag and wait time...

So you've called dibs on it? I haven't gotten an email back on the parts we need to get the radix on, but expect to get it all within the next two weeks...

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you've called dibs on it? I haven't gotten an email back on the parts we need to get the radix on, but expect to get it all within the next two weeks...

Yes and no. I'm waiting to hear what she's wanting for it... to make my decision. She told me it was a wet filter.. not sure I care... but it's older technology, ya know?

yukonmpg

Reaction score
"Delivers Up To 1,000,000 Watts Of Peak Power". Interesting...1,000,000W/12V=83,333A. Unless I am doing this wrong, seems rather impossible claim. Watts are Watts no matter what side of a transformer you are on.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Delivers Up To 1,000,000 Watts Of Peak Power". Interesting...1,000,000W/12V=83,333A. Unless I am doing this wrong, seems rather impossible claim. Watts are Watts no matter what side of a transformer you are on.

Your math is right, however your numbers are off. Spark plugs do not use 12v power... it takes MUCH more than that to jump the gap. Most figures I've seen are 15,000-40,000v. Some of the aftermarket coils add even more. The numbers look more like...

1,000,000w / 40,000v = 25A. With capacitor's, it's possible to even drop the amperage while still getting the 1,000,000W... :thumbsup:

yukonmpg

Reaction score
Your math is right, however your numbers are off. Spark plugs do not use 12v power... it takes MUCH more than that to jump the gap. Most figures I've seen are 15,000-40,000v. Some of the aftermarket coils add even more. The numbers look more like...

1,000,000w / 40,000v = 25A. With capacitor's, it's possible to even drop the amperage while still getting the 1,000,000W... :thumbsup:

Right, but that coil is powered by (pulsed) 12V, correct? Still 1,000,000 watts no matter what side of the coil you are on. You only increase the voltage and drop the current when stepping up voltage, the Watts are the same. Did the original add mistake Watts for Joules?