03 Yukon - noise from above drivers seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

177mph

Reaction score
Ok - this is an odd one. I have an 03 Yukon SLT - and there's a small speaker grille (perhaps for a microphone?) above my head in the headliner. Everytime I start the truck up when it's cold - it sounds like a little motor is whirring away behind that little grille. Its actually a little loud. Then after the truck is warmed up - it goes away. The rear heat or a/c is off and i dont use on star or the phone option.

Any clues?

Aquinosteven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha i was just gon post this same problem. i have a 03 tahoe and it does the same thing. even when u run the car with out the any air and the engine off, it still does it. i have no idea what it is and i dont wanna tear the headliner down. Any ideas?

BigE

Reaction score
same thing happens to me in the cold. i have been unable to figure out what is causing it. just crank up the radio and you wont here it, lol.

Aquinosteven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think i may have a friend come over and we'll pull the headliner down. i wanna know what is causing this sound. ill keep u guys updated

DaKing602

Reaction score
I have the same noise coming from the microphone right above the driver seat. I also have a rattling noise coming from the passenger door when I'm on the freeway. I haven't been able to pinpoint where it's coming from but it either the window or the mirror. If anyone has this problem please let me know.

Custom73

Reaction score
Brother in law had the same noise on his '02 Yukon Denali. Said he pulled the headliner down and it appeared to be a small fan and sensor. We assumed it was for the auto climate control. Cost too much to replace, so he just got used to the noise...

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been told on here that it is indeed a sensor for the climate control, actually a fan, if you guys look hard enough on here there was a post about it, probably about 4-6 months ago.

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it I've got this too, but only when it's really cold outside. It stops in less than a minute. Maybe I should try to oil the fan...

177mph

Reaction score
And I thought I was the only one!!! A little fan for the climate control? Whats its purpose?

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ok guys this is the thing that senses the temp in the vehicle so when you set the temp to 70 deg. this is like the thermostat in your house if you look you will have another back in the rear in my suburban it is between the 2nd and 3rd row seats in the headliner if you will take some of that caned air and blow it clean with it that worked on mine

i hope that this all made sense