'04 Weird cluster/4x4 issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

August_West

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a new to me 04 Z71 and have been having a few odd issues and was hoping someone here cold point me int he right direction.

Issue #1: 4x4 switch sometimes does not light up at all and then the "Service 4wd" message show up. When the switch lights properly, the 4x4 works, I can change from 2hi to 4hi and even into 4lo, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it will not work.

Issue #2: The voltage meter when reading properly has me @ 14. Other times it has no reading at all. That is all I had noticed it was either all or nothing. Checked the battery voltage and it's fine.

Issue #3 I noticed on the way to work yesterday when the speed-o was @ 20MPH I was doing 33MPH on the GPS. Now just last weekend it was fine, spot on @ 70, and even yesterday @ lunch 30MPH on the speed-o was 30MPH on the GPS.

Is this the infamous cluster issue or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks for reading.

04Z71HDHoe

Reaction score
First off you need a new 4x4 switch, luckily for you even the older 99-03 Switch will work as long as it has the same four buttons. It may be a different color but you can swap the internals of the switch into your case and have a replacement on the cheap or you can buy the exact same version switch as yours but it may be more cost effective to get a used one that's out of a older truck but to each his own. As far as the Gauges You're having the Common Gauge cluster issues a lot of us have had mine didn't really start until 292k miles. So here's the just, inside are little motors that the needles attach to and sometimes they wear out or the solder breaks away from the board and will intermittently work as is the case most likely with your volt gauge secondly the speedos get tired and wear out from being constantly used, but it's fixable, I charge 75$ as long as you take care of shipping both ways and turn around is usually one day. My shop number is 5032985008 I'm Jason hit me up. That goes for anyone who is reading this with. The same issue.