07 Denali : hard idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend just bought an 07 Denali with 35k on it... However, it idles rough. any ideas as to why and what i might be able to do to smooth her out some?

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better bring that bad boy into the dealer before it turns over 36,000 miles........

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it would be on the extended waranty now that we are passed 36k and have to pay a deductable.. at least i am pretty sure about that... i wanted to get in there and do a few things myself before i went that rout... i figure i would clean her out inside and see whats up.

Jenna : I have never actually done a seafoam myself... I have never even looked into it to be honest with you... my plan was to switch over to synth, check all her pluggs, clean out the throttle body, clean the sensors, replace to O2 sensors (not sure how many this truck has) and possibly replace the fuel filter... thing is, seems like really low milage to need even half that stuff

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You will want to do a seafoam before you change your oil. Doing all of the above, you just might be good to go. With the type of gas and such that you might run, you would be surprised with how gunked up the systems get.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it would be on the extended waranty now that we are passed 36k and have to pay a deductable.. at least i am pretty sure about that... i wanted to get in there and do a few things myself before i went that rout... i figure i would clean her out inside and see whats up.

Jenna : I have never actually done a seafoam myself... I have never even looked into it to be honest with you... my plan was to switch over to synth, check all her pluggs, clean out the throttle body, clean the sensors, replace to O2 sensors (not sure how many this truck has) and possibly replace the fuel filter... thing is, seems like really low milage to need even half that stuff

Did you guys buy an extended warrenty??

Is it a bumper 2 bumper??? As the 5 year 100k is included on all gm trucks 07 and up. Should also be transfered to the new owner.

Good luck in what ever you do. :D

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, should be 5/50 on the motor. If the problem is emissions related, which actually includes fuel system, vacuum, etc. it's even longer than that, though I don't remember but it should list those parts in the manual.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run 2 or 3 bottles of Techron thru it. Check to make sure all plug wires are on tite.

tracon

Reaction score
I have just over 30K and had a rough idle also. I took the throttle body off and cleaned it and MAF out .Runs great no little hiccups any more> The idle is running a little higher now but should lower when computer does its thing. Took about an hour or so very easy. Also cleaned out the plastic manifold, on top of the engine, there was a little oil in there. I just wiped it out with a paper towel . No oil in the intake though.
Hope this helps.

Good luck

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2L is a smooth motor, but it has a very little bit of chop at idle. That is due to the cam. The 6.2L in the Vette is a bit more choppy. That may be what you're experiencing. Your Denali has a 6.2L 380hp motor. That much power is going to require at least a slightly aggressive cam.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2L is a smooth motor, but it has a very little bit of chop at idle. That is due to the cam. The 6.2L in the Vette is a bit more choppy. That may be what you're experiencing. Your Denali has a 6.2L 380hp motor. That much power is going to require at least a slightly aggressive cam.

absolutly... but this harsh idle is for sure more than normal, Im hoping it just needs a little TLC, but it is good to know that these 6.2L will idle a little "aggresive"

as a side note, i thought this motor had more horsepower than 380...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
absolutly... but this harsh idle is for sure more than normal, Im hoping it just needs a little TLC, but it is good to know that these 6.2L will idle a little "aggresive"

as a side note, i thought this motor had more horsepower than 380...

for some reason, I think there is a recent thred about it. The Denali has 380 and the cadillac escalade has 403. I guess just the difference in brand names, I have driven both and notice no difference.

But in the 09 denali have been upgraded to 403 and have flexfuel. :yesnod:

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for some reason, I think there is a recent thred about it. The Denali has 380 and the cadillac escalade has 403. I guess just the difference in brand names, I have driven both and notice no difference.

But in the 09 denali have been upgraded to 403 and have flexfuel. :yesnod:

what could possibly be the difference that would make it 403? I know it is the exact same platform

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The difference in HP between the two is largely the tune.