07 transmission failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rahrens

Reaction score
My transmission went out at 18,000 miles on my 07. Started up from a stop and felt something break. I thought someone ran into the back of me. When I stepped on the gas again, nothing. Thankfully reverse and 1st still worked so I could get out of traffic. My dealer never heard of this problem, but did find a service bulletin about a spring. They need to tear the transmission apart to repair. I haven't seen anyting posted previously about a problem like this.

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! Something else to worry about if and when I buy mine.
Good thing these things are still under warranty...:crazy:

bocaytomas

Reaction score
On my 08 Tahoe, the Torque Converter broke at 2k miles, dealer replaced it at no cost, but somewhat alarming

rahrens

Reaction score
My torque converter was replaced very early also. Makes me wonder if current failure could have anything to do with transmission being previously removed.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My torque converter was replaced very early also. Makes me wonder if current failure could have anything to do with transmission being previously removed.

Problems like a tranny failure in a new car makes you wonder what's down the road, doesn't it :eek2:? Sorry about that man, that's an eye opener though. Luckily nothing more than minor repairs on my '08 Z71 at over 40k.

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your bad Luck. I think and can only hope, it is a rare problem, because there are many Sliverado's, Suburban's, Tahoe's and Yukon's, on the road, with no transmission problems. I would expect a possible few issues with the new 6-speeds, that have been in the Escalades and are in all the 2009 models.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problems like a tranny failure in a new car makes you wonder what's down the road, doesn't it :eek2:? Sorry about that man, that's an eye opener though. Luckily nothing more than minor repairs on my '08 Z71 at over 40k.

You got over 40K on your 08??? Dang, daily commute a little above average I guess?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your bad Luck. I think and can only hope, it is a rare problem, because there are many Sliverado's, Suburban's, Tahoe's and Yukon's, on the road, with no transmission problems. I would expect a possible few issues with the new 6-speeds, that have been in the Escalades and are in all the 2009 models.

The 4 speed (4L60E) is a notoriously weak transmission. They have made some improvements over the years, but the true problem areas, where realistically upgraded, have manifested into a different unit number, like 4L65E, 4L70E, 4L80E, etc., and are reserved for heavier duty/ bigger engine trucks. Problems are with the sunshell, bands, planetary gears, etc. It can be built to match strength needs, but stock it is very limited.

The 6 speed (6L80E) is built much stronger and can withstand a lot more torque. So I think that it won't have these same problems, but perhaps a new set of issues involving the increased complexities in its electronics and increased number of parts. For example, it is designed to hunt up/down for gear changes much more often, so maybe it will have increased clutch-pack wear, or even gear wear. But so far it is shown to be a much more stout transmission.

I drove a rented Suburban last week with the 6 in it. I liked that you can put it in manual shift mode, that was cool. The shifting was smooth and linear, pretty efficient. But I missed feeling the motor wind out to the next gear, and noticing the feel of the shifts. It would be great in a sedan, but I felt like it polished away some of the aspects of driving a real truck.