09 Tahoe Trailerbrake Controller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the 09 (and possibly even 08) Tahoe with the integrated trailer brake controller? I was looking to get a brake controller for my 07 but hate how all aftermarket ones stick out like a sore thumb. I'd like to get some pictures and info if available on how GM did it in the 08/09s so I can integrate it for my 07.

GM Fan

Reaction score
We have an 08 and it was not offered as an option. I don't think that is offered for Tahoes. I have only seen that option on the HD pick ups.
I installed mine under the dash by my left foot. It is not very noticable.

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have an 08 and it was not offered as an option. I don't think that is offered for Tahoes. I have only seen that option on the HD pick ups.
I installed mine under the dash by my left foot. It is not very noticable.

It's on the website as being offered on the 2009 Tahoe. I'd like to integrate it as stock looking as possible, but if I can't, I can't...

Armycop

Reaction score
didn't come with my Yukon either

I wondered about that too when I got my 08 Yukon. It wasn't an option for me either. The wiring harness was stock though. I mount mine right next to the PCM port on the right under the kickboard.

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At one point I read through a discussion on a different forum (GM-Trucks) about installing the integrated brake controller into a truck that didn't come with it. To make a long story short, it's a factory installed option only.

I have the brake controller in my 09, here is a picture of it.
DSC_0151.JPG

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At one point I read through a discussion on a different forum (GM-Trucks) about installing the integrated brake controller into a truck that didn't come with it. To make a long story short, it's a factory installed option only.

DSC_0151.JPG

That is cool.. Wish my 07 had that:mad:... Even though I never pull trailers it looks like a cool gadget ;)

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score

DSC_0151.JPG

That looks awesome! What were the specifics of why you couldn't do it? I don't see why it would be such a big deal? Maybe replace one panel and splice up some wires? I put a 07 Wrangler Drivetrain in a 98 Cherokee, lockers and everything so with a little information I may give it a shot.

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC it's because the GM brake controller isn't just a stand alone unit the the aftermarket ones. The GM one uses the GM LAN to communicate with the BCM and PCM and those modules have extra programming to enable the functionality of the controller. The GM controller also communicates to the DIC to display its settings. It's far more integrated in the a truck's systems than an aftermarket one.