1996 Tahoe Rocker arms losening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue96Tahoe

Reaction score
On my tahoe I am having a problem with the rocker arms getting really loose after a while. I tightened them up about two weeks ago and now a few were falling off today. The truck has almost 250k on it but it doesnt miss like a bad cam. It runs perfectly smooth. I bought it almost a month ago but my shop has been the only one to touch it since new. I tightened them about a year ago. As it got colder out it started as just for a few seconds then the noise got away but now when its there it takes about 5-6 miles of driving (Home to work is 7) for it to go away. Please help. I know what im thinking just hoping that someone else has had this problem before

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds more like your lifters are bleeding down oil when cold, then after truck warms up they fill and the tap goes away. very common on small block chevys. tightening the rocker studs will not rectify this situation, in fact it can cause overtightening of the valves and result in a valve clearence problem. i've had this same issue for over a year, just let truck warm up for a minute or two before driving, no big deal.

Blue96Tahoe

Reaction score
its the lifters. i figured it out today after tightening it to where it stopped knocking then when it filled it had a misfire. So i called around on prices from GM for lifters, rockers, and pushrods the grand total was $1100!!?!?!?! thats shop cost and for sealed power (if you dont know this they make almost all GM lifters and stuff is sealed power) its a total of $327 i think i might just do lifters. I need to replace the intake gasket anyways mind as well do it because its gotten progressively worse over the last month

Blue96Tahoe

Reaction score
also thanks for the input i will be takeing multiple pictures for a possible tech bulletin

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no need to change the rockers and pushrods anyway. they have no moving parts. i believe the lifters in these trucks are roller. good luck.

ayalaman

Reaction score
Replace all the rocker arm nuts . they sometimes wear out causing the adjustment to back off

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, post is 5 years old...... Altho my 95 Hoe did the same thing, I started changing oil very often, and now almost noise free......

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey lester never mind the rocker arms I think somebody here needs to tighten up that loose nut behind the wheel wouldn't you say lol

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe he was sloshed...... Or late night posting like I do alot......

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess if your gonna do something, do it right...... :)