1997 Yukon Fuel Guage Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these gas tanks don`t have plates in them (that slows the movement)of the gas moving around.
you can buy the whole assembly for 200.00 .float,pump,housing and screens and you just drop it in.
i don`t know if mine will do that sinse i keep mine on full sinse i had it 3yrs
now.

i go by my trip # when i reach 100 to 130 miles i fill it back up.
thats still 25 to $35.00 of gas. has any body let the hand get to E and then
Filled it up? how much did it cost?

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I let mine get to E last summer. I mean it had to be running on fumes. Gas was right around 3 bucks per gallon. I squeezed in 25.1 gallons, so it was about $75 to fill.

sterios

Reaction score
fuel gauge

My pump went out on me in oct and I replaced it with one from the dealer. Got a deal on it at 300 bucks canadian. The next week it died again and this time it was the fuel pump connector that had rotted. Replaced that. Ended up replacing the pump again as it had a major hesitation. Now my fuel gauge drops a hell of alot faster then it did before. I used to be able to go 450 km before the tank hit half and from there it zoomed down to empty in about 200 km. Now at half tank I've only got about 220 km on it but I seem to be able to go further on the last half of the tank. I'm running it right down past the empty mark now. Before I tried this once and ran out before it hit the empty mark. I've got 550 km on it now and the tank is reading empty but i'm going to push it till it's bone dry. I got a spare can of gas on board. This guage doesn't bounce around like the last one but it's weird having it go down so fast now. Though it was poor mileage. Maybe GM put out a better sending unit? Who knows. Driving till it dies!

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are going to be looking at another fuel pump with that strategy. The pump depends on being submerged in fuel to provide cooling. Running your tank dry will allow the pump to overheat and can cause it to fail.

sterios

Reaction score
pump

Yeah I'm aware of that but I'm only going to do it the one time. I really need to know how far down that gauge goes now before I'm dead on the water. I do allot of fishing and hunting and really need to know when I should start heading back for gas. I'm thinking of putting the original sending unit back in with the newer pump to get the gauge back to the way it was. Feels better with close to 500 km at half tank than only 250 km. Mental games but it's my brain and I have to live with it:)

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my '97 2 door the guage meets/covers the last orange mark to the left it is out and the truck cuts off. but that is because i have had my guage calibrated correctly. i have seen them that will go well below the line with plenty of gas to go.

the problem lies in the design of the fuel tank as someone said earlier it has nothing to prevent the sloshing of gas back and forth and the guage reads this fluctuation. just know that when the gas is moving to the front of the tank under decceleration your gauge goes up. annd when u accelerate the gauge goes down. i think it's good they did it that way so u get a visual reminder of how much gas u waste when u stomp the pedal to the floor.

i live in coastal south carolina so the biggest hill rises maybe 10 feet. i guess that's why it never bothered me.

also, the injector/fuel system cleaner will only make this phenomenon worse because it cleans everything out making it read more accurately the fluctuation in gas levels due to fuel sloshing around in the tank.

every chevy i have owned has done this, but the tahoe does seem to be much more noticeable. mine will lose a 1/4 tank on the guage if i accelerate hard. and similar gains under heavy braking.

i guess deal with it or get a 'yota

=)

jj99yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gas needle ast funny too. but it doesnt fluctuate as much as yalls. mine moves rapidly back and forth in a really small area. its kinda weird. the gas readings are correct it just pisses me off about it moving so much.