1998 Tahoe Randomly Stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BCM08

Reaction score
Ok I disconnected the EGR and it had no effect on it's behavior. Only thing that changed was that the SES light came on.

Another thing, while in park/neutral, if I rev it enough it'll die out, just like it almost did in the video.

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Performance Noise, Barely Moving

Now I got a quesiton, my 2 door 1998 tahoe has ****ty acceleration. at a dead stop I'll put my foot to the floor and it will shift at 5000rpm barely moving. and when it shifts it's a hard shift, it jerks the truck and it kicks but I feel that engine has a lot of potential but is straining or being held back. And also when I'm cruising and I go to stomp on it, yes the RPM jumps the way hell up, but the truck is barely moving again. Basically, to describe short and sweet....all this loud performance noise, but barely moving at all...I was thinking, trans, torque converter?? HELP!!!!!! I'm sick of losing!

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wassup Colabella7077? i had a similar issue with my tahoe..... I replaced the MAF and now it runs beautifully..... in your situation, I would clean out the MAF with MAF cleaner that they sell in AutoZone or any auto parts shop. If it runs better after you clean out the MAF, then it will most likely that your MAF is giving its last kicks. Good luck.

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks TahoeMan....but I'm new to Chevy's and I bought my tahoe a year ago....what exactly would I have to replace on the MAF, the whole thing!?!?!? or a wire? fuse? I'm new to the MAF. And, inside my wheel wells, its a light brown all inside and when you look at the truck from the side, there is chrome rims, black tires, and this crap all inside the wheel well. I tried armor-all and power washing, any paint suggestions? removing rust?

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BCM08 (READ THIS) When you run seafoam through your truck, it will eliminate all stick and gunk...but WHERE did you insert it? Gas tank, Brake Vaccum Line, Oil? If so, change you're spark plugs, change your oil and the gas will eventually empty it's self. Don't trust those fuel pump/line cleaners...you'll end up with your foot 3/4 of the way to full and barley moving, Resulting in new Cats.

Firefighter6112

Reaction score
Stalling problem

My name is Gregg. I have a 1995 tahoe. I also have the same symptoms of my tahoe stalling out when i slow down and when i turn. I am in the process of fixing the problem right now. I am 90% sure the problem is water in the gas tank. when you slow down and turn the water slaushes around in the tank to the closest point of the fuel pump. water doesnt make a engine run. i have heard of this problem before and i am almost for sure this is the reason. like i said i am in the process of fixing the problem. i have my tank almost drained and i will be droping it in about an hour. my second guess is a bad fuel pump. the fuel pump can turn its self on and off when it starts to get old. hopefully its just water. i will write soon with my results and findings. Thanks. -Gregg

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO you have any solutions of cleaning out the fuel tank with a water remover? I heard Marvel Mystery can remove water and clean out the fuel pump completely and die down the sound.

Firefighter6112

Reaction score
No. as of right now i have plans to replace the fuel pump and filter anyways. It is facory origonal and since i have my tank off i mite as well just replace it. i had quite a bit of water in the tank. close to a gallon. my guess is that i pumped water at the gas station. the gas station was filling there tanks and my guess the gas level was low there causing the pumps to pump me some water. i still have some more looking to do yet. i will get back to you.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that or you filled up at a station with a car wash... there was one around town that had the waste water flowing into the tanks... quick way to tear you truck up without even realizing it.

Firefighter6112

Reaction score
Yea i fill up at the same gas station every time. No carwash. But i will have everything put back together tomarrow. hopefully it works.

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOW, another question. At a dead stop, I take my foot off the brakes, hit the gas, and there is a loud noise coming from the rear end. its like a low squeak. i heard it might be the leaf springs being loose around the axle near the diff? it happens everytime im at a stop and I hit the gas, its like a low "mmm"...cant describe it any better.

Firefighter6112

Reaction score
Well i have good news. after replacing the fuel filter and fuel pump, my problem is now fixed. I drained the tank, cleaned it out really good making sure i got all debrie out. once i put everything together i went out and bought 10 gallons of fresh gas, filled up my tank and she fired right up with out hesitation. i let it run for about 5 minuts to get all the air out of the system and i took it out for a drive. never once having an issue. i have put about 50 miles on it with alot of stop and go's and turning and i cant get it to stall on me. so looks like the fuel pump and filter did the trick! any questions please feel free to ask. thanks -Gregg

Firefighter6112

Reaction score
the pump from the TBI 350 and the Vortec 350 are different and the pumps from the vortecs have the wine to them. got to love my tbi. not to mention i am pulling more horse with my tbi then most vortecs.

Firefighter6112

Reaction score
well the motor and trans are all new, transfercase is rebuilt by me and the driveshaft is origonal. the rear diff is a 3.73 locker. the motor was built piece by piece to what i wanted and the trans is just a heavy duty 700R4 i bought from a race shop in my town. the trans is tested to 600hp and 600ft tq. the tq converter is stock aswell. i run all synthed to ensure durability and lifetime